• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

Opinions On Ceramic Coatings For Exhaust Manifolds?

Mad Scientist

I thought i'd start a thread here, as it may get more of a response.

I am currently having a custom 4-2-1 manifold made up for my 2.2 6 engined 205 rally car.

Has anyone got any experience with ceramic coatings? Is it worth it?

I'd like to get the underbonnet temps down as much as possible, at the same time as "optimising" the exhaust. Apparently, ceramic coat keeps exhaust gas speed higher for longer.

The company I am looking at is called camcoat, in Warrington. They coat the manifold inside and out, and the price is pretty reasonable.

Anyone used Camcoat, or another firm?

Any oppinions?

Google searches reveal little.

Cheers,

Pete

welshpug

I remember Sean McKeown getting his 8v manifold coated, Sandy may be able to give some insight.

stu8v

Well worth it, all the big power turbo cars seem to have it.

I wouldnt bother with the wrap it just doesnt seem to last more than a few months!!!!

harryskid

Never heard of that being done but seems a good idea though. Is it possible to do a stainless gti6 manifold?

Miles

I would think so< take a look at http://www.zircotec.com/

Heatwrap isn;t a good product, not soo bad on stainless but on mild steel it makes the metal rust badly and become scabby

Mad Scientist

I spoke to zircotec too. If you look at my project thread in the project starter section it explains the differences between zircotec and camcoat. I want to stay away from wrap so I think I'll give this a go.

Both company's can do new or old manifolds and systems. They put them in an oven first to burn off impurities, then they sandblast them.

JeffR

I have had one of of Miles' 4-2-1 manifolds done using the metallic ceramic coating system for my 405 track car. Being dark grey (Magnum) & fully stripped out, it didn't need a hot track day to make things pretty uncomfortable behind the wheel so the resulting drop in cabin temps from heat soak through the firewall & floor was very noticeable-and welcome!

A well worth it exercise IMHO.

$AUD280 included welding on the spring coupling 'ears'

http://blastfactoryabrasiveblasting.com.au/index.php?pageid=3936

post-8655-0-75790600-1320529465_thumb.jpg

post-8655-0-76052500-1320529480_thumb.jpg

petert

I've got ceramic coated GTi6 pipes. Not sure what the hp gain is but they certainly help keep down cabin temps as Jeff said.

post-2864-0-63610800-1320576106_thumb.jpg

Batfink

I would have thought in theory your manifold needs to be optimised for the faster gas flow

Cameron

I would have thought in theory your manifold needs to be optimised for the faster gas flow

Maybe in F1.. :lol:

The pipes would need to be longer as the speed of sound increases with temperature, but it's a matter of a few millimetres and tbh unless you have pretty comprehensive measurements of exhaust gas temperature you're always building a manifold with an element of guesswork.

Ceramic coating is well worth it though. :)

Mad Scientist

Decision made. Going to let camcoat have the manifold as soon as it's done. Will put some pics up of the finished article.

harryskid

I like the idea of this stuff and i wish i had heard of it sooner as it gets quite warm in my rally car. My problem is my Miles modded manifold is now in the car so to remove it to get it done would be a pain i think. :)

marksorrento205

I like the idea of this stuff and i wish i had heard of it sooner as it gets quite warm in my rally car. My problem is my Miles modded manifold is now in the car so to remove it to get it done would be a pain i think. :)

Its not that bad to remove a gti6 manifold from a 205. Its a subframe removed job though.

thelegendofando

Don't need to remove the subframe, just undo the steering rack and leave the subframe dangling on the bottom arms, undo the stabiliser mount then shove the engine forward and it comes straight out.

harryskid

Its not that bad to remove a gti6 manifold from a 205. Its a subframe removed job though.

Thanks for that, i have at at a later date to replace my subframe for one i'am seamwelding and powder coating and i'll do it then. :D

marksorrento205

Don't need to remove the subframe, just undo the steering rack and leave the subframe dangling on the bottom arms, undo the stabiliser mount then shove the engine forward and it comes straight out.

Bar four more nuts and bolts and more room to get to the manifold nuts there is not much difference :lol:

CosKev

Lots of Evo's have this done.

Will be interested to see the finished pics and price from Camcoat,something I want done to my Evo manifold ;)

Zircotec quoted me £230 to do a Gti6 manifold when I enquired when converting my 309 Gti.

harryskid

Lots of Evo's have this done.

Will be interested to see the finished pics and price from Camcoat,something I want done to my Evo manifold ;)

Zircotec quoted me £230 to do a Gti6 manifold when I enquired when converting my 309 Gti.

Not cheap then but still worth it, i'd better start saving :lol:

GilesW

Had my manifold on my XE engine done. As well as some coatings on the piston crowns, valve faces, combustion chambers.

It was done by Camcoat.

It was a pretty good quality job.

The manifold I never actually used in the end though as I had another (full system) made by Simpson Race Exhausts. It was SS and I used QUALITY wrap (soaked & stretched), fastened properly, then sprayed with VHT paint. That lasted very well and kept temps down well to.

Cameron

Not cheap, no. But considering heat wrap will set you back about £70 for a GTi6 manifold and disintegrate within 6 months, it's pretty good value.

Chris H

Having used both camcoat and zircotec for exhaust manifold coatings on n/a engines....zircotec stuff is much better in the quality of the applied coating, its thermal proection properties and its longevity.

Camcoat stuff is good but its cheaper price reflects in they product.

On a MH ZR s2000 rally car, we had the manifold done originally by camcoat and the heat from the exhaust manifold was still cooking components in the engine bay, swapped to a zircotec manifold and its far cooler in the engine bay, keeping the car more reliable.

Mad Scientist

First hand experience, that's just what I needed. Thanks.

Zircotec it is.

DanteICE

If it's a Turbo Engine the ceramic coating has been proven to give better spool up, I'll be honest I can't remember the reason; maybe someone can have a guess?

Geoff

dav1

Think i might get my manifold done if it works that well my heat wrap falling to pieces.

BlueBolt

What kinda "expensive" is expensive??

Just out of blind curiosity that is??

Sign in to follow this