• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

Bilstein Grp N/a/challenge

allanallen

Afternoon. I've been Internet searching for some rear billys but it seems as though retailers call anything yellow group n dampers!!

I've searched on here and it seems that Tarmac/challenge rears are part no. B46-1038 and damping/rebound is 460/250 is this correct?

Kam racing list these for £112 each and peter llyod does em for £160 a pair??

Kam racing also list group A rears (B46-2313) for £132 a piece, what the devil are these? Spoox list groupA/N rears on eBay (Part no.7237)for £165 a piece and say the damping/rebound is 350/200 which surely isn't right?

I'm baffled, there's a lot of conflicting info on the net. Please help :(

Edited by allanallen

Batfink

My part numbers are correct (kam racing) looks like PL are clearing stock at that price, spoox are the group A rear dampers, probably their own part number - not bilstiens for sure

Edited by Batfink

allanallen

Cheers batfink, do you know the specs of the group A's then or are they 350/200 like Spoox list in their advert?

Batfink

just looked it up on the bilstein site

B46-2313 is 350/200

B46-1038 is showing as 345/207

allanallen

just looked it up on the bilstein site

B46-2313 is 350/200

B46-1038 is showing as 345/207

Strange, there's quite a bit of info on here saying the group n's are 460/250?

welshpug

probably tarmac/gravel differences?

Anthony

As far as I'm aware the PTS 205 tarmac rears were indeed 460/250 and the PTS 205 Forest rears were 360/250 (which is what I have on my car)

Of course, that was then and this is now, so it's likely that they've played around with the damping rates somewhat - the two listed above sound reasonably close to the old Forest spec rear dampers and is what I suspect they're a replacement for.

I have a pair of Challenge spec rear dampers in the garage too if you want me to double-check the part number on them?

matt.f

Pretty sure the ones to have are 1038's,have seen Nurburgring stickers on them aswell

Edited by matt.f

welshpug

Pretty sure the ones to have are 1038's,have seen Nurburgring stickers on them aswell

depends what youre using them with+for, most bilstein sport stuff has the ring sticker these days

matt.f

Going off Allenallen's post about road rallying I presumed that,1038's(GP-N) are most popular.Been done to death over the years on Britishrally forum

allanallen

Yeah as Matt says these are for a road/road rally car. I'd like to get to the bottom of it as I don't want to order 'group n's' if they're likely to be the 350/200 as I don't think they'll be suitable.

matt.f

Derbyshire road rallies use quite a lot of rough whites btw

Batfink

Strange, there's quite a bit of info on here saying the group n's are 460/250?

dug out the paper bilstein catalogue - it lists the b46-2313 as 460/250

I can ring bilstein to check the official technical docs, but i'd say the website is wrong. I thought it was stiffer than the website says...

Batfink

all bilstein sports dampers have nurburgring stickers on or in the box :-)

allanallen

dug out the paper bilstein catalogue - it lists the b46-2313 as 460/250

I can ring bilstein to check the official technical docs, but i'd say the website is wrong. I thought it was stiffer than the website says...

I wonder if that means all the 1038s people are running round on arent the Tarmac spec they're led to believe??

Batfink

I doubt it. What is tarmac spec?......

Bilstein will have probably set the group N damping for running a standard or near standard torsion bar, whereas the PTS stuff will be valved according to other rules/ ethos / car specs. Its not going to be a one shock fits all scenario.

Edited by Batfink

matt.f

Well my 1.6 rear beam is standard apart from solid mounts as far as I know,and the 1038's on mine are pretty damn hard imo.Goes well down the lanes though

edbar

I checked my bilstien catalogue and kev is right.

welshpug

for the price of them, might as well get some custom valved ast's and the like :)

allanallen

for the price of them, might as well get some custom valved ast's and the like :)

£160???

stu8v

Other than the fact they dont seem to last and leak in no time!

Rebuild every year!

welshpug

you mean avo not ast stu? mine hqve done 7k miles and work fine, a friends set have done several times more than that

b6's may be 160 a pair but the proper motorsport ones are near thar each are they not..

stu8v

AST's leaked on Imprezas hence they dont do road kits any more.

True anything bespoke costs

allanallen

you mean avo not ast stu? mine hqve done 7k miles and work fine, a friends set have done several times more than that

b6's may be 160 a pair but the proper motorsport ones are near thar each are they not..

If you read my original post peter llyod are selling 1038s for £160 a pair these are apparently GRP N/challenge spec shocks so they are 'proper Motorsport ones'.

I have no interest in ast's, I want to understand what's what with fixed rate rear bilsteins.

allanallen

I doubt it. What is tarmac spec?......

Bilstein will have probably set the group N damping for running a standard or near standard torsion bar, whereas the PTS stuff will be valved according to other rules/ ethos / car specs. Its not going to be a one shock fits all scenario.

This is perhaps where I've got confused. I think folk have started calling grpN/challenge dampers 'Tarmac spec' and I've wrongly assumed they're the 460/250s ie; the old PTS Tarmac spec.

At any rate its looking like I want the GRP A dampers you list on your site and not the 1038s.