• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fatony1

Gti-6 Caliper Rebuild...

fatony1

My calipers are stripped bare, no piston/seals/bleed nipples etc, my question is are they ok to send for sand blasting in this state, or should I plug the nipple/brake hose holes and plug/mask up the inner part where the piston lives? How do caliper refurb company's do it?

Thanks in advance :)

Tom Fenton

You need to block up as you mention. The surface that the piston seal runs on needs to be smooth. If you sandblast it, it will leak forever more. Also block off the threaded parts as blasting will ruin the threads.

chipstick

Yeah mask them up.

Better off Soda Blasting than Sand which doesn't risk the grit being hidden in places you don't want it.

I can get them Soda blasted if you wanted.

welshpug

I'd leave the piston+seal in place, and wind a blanked union into the brake hose port, also leave the slider pins fitted.

Tom Fenton

When I did mine, I actually left them complete with the chopped off rubber brake hose. I soaked them in Bilt Hamber De-Ox-C solution, took a few days but cleaned them up to looking like new castings. I then painted them and they look as good now as when I did them.

fatony1

Would they be ok to soak in that stuff without seals/pistons etc? Where did you get it from?

fatony1

Cheers mate. Does it only remove rust on bare metal or will it loosen up/remove old paint/grime/dirt etc?

Tom Fenton

This is a pic of the caliper carrier after being in the de-ox-c

003.jpg

As you can see they come up really well.

BlueBolt

Been looking through ebay for new rubbers and bits for refurb'ing a set of these, I stupidly (and rather humorously) search "metal stripper" in eBay to find something to stip them with to clean them up though hahahahaha... Just thought I'd share that whilst posting :huh:

Anyway... Is there anyone on the forum that does the rubbers and seals I will need?? Or is this ideal for the job??

fatony1:: What seal set did you get?? How did you get on with it in the end??

• Like 1

allye

The big red kit is the tits! I rebuilt my 1.9 calipers with a set really good quality. And if you rebuild them well its essentially a new set of calipers for £25.

BlueBolt

Excellent!! I'll be doing my research on what exactly I'm doing then and getting that set!!

Thanks Ali

cybernck

Unlike rear caliper rebuild kits, this is basically just a seals kit (it doesn't contain new pistons), so it wouldn't really make for brand new calipers ;).

BlueBolt

Unlike rear caliper rebuild kits, this is basically just a seals kit (it doesn't contain new pistons), so it wouldn't really make for brand new calipers ;).

So for a rebuild then I'd need something like this or this then??

Want to make the best job of these calipers that I can...!!

cybernck

Not really, as GTi-6 calipers have 57 mm pistons.

No need to change them if there's no damage to them anyway :).

• Like 1

BlueBolt

No need to change them if there's no damage to them anyway :).

How would you get piston damage?? just out of interest??

rear caliper rebuild kits dont include the pistons.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1421274b

Blimey!! There's a few more seals and bits for the rears!!! Worth doing though if I'm doing the front so I'll add that into my list....!!

Edited by BlueBolt

welshpug

you tend to get piston damage when the outer dust boot is knackered, and the brake fluid isnt changed often enough, both lead to corrosion on the pistons.

BlueBolt

That's kewl, I'll look out for that when I pull them apart...

cybernck

These do, but with a trade-off of having less seals :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-CALIPER-BRAKE-PISTON-REPAIR-KIT-PEUGEOT-205-/370509095543?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5644102277

you tend to get piston damage when the outer dust boot is knackered, and the brake fluid isnt changed often enough, both lead to corrosion on the pistons.

And what if the calipers were out of use for many years? :unsure:

welshpug

These do, but with a trade-off of having less seals :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5644102277

And what if the calipers were out of use for many years? :unsure:

they aren't "pistons" they're the slider pins.

out of use but still on the car? still likely to happen.

cybernck

Oops, it says "slide pistons" there, which got me confused.

I thought the shape was a bit strange mind.

Off the car, but judging by the pile-of-rust condition the discs are in, I'm not too sure of the calipers either.

BlueBolt

Can anyone tell me what bleed nipples I should avoid getting and what ones I should be looking for?? There are a lot on the bay, most of them are M10 but don't want to be getting the wrong thing...

(null)

BlueBolt

Looking on here for info on how I go about getting the pistons out of the calipers with them off the car, I stumbled upon this which gives me the impression that I need to either use my brakes to pop them out, or an air compressor...

As I have no air compressor, and I was kind of hoping for a magic answer but never going to find it, I thought I'd double check that I'm not imagining things and I'm right about having to make a massive mess and let them pop out??

I know the brake fluid is like acid to any paint work, but thats a bonus as I want to be cleaning them up anyway, just going to have to make sure that I don't get any on the main car itself lol

allye

I was going to say air line, the fire out :lol: don't lever them out or anything as you'll damage the pistons. You may be able to hook up some sort of foot pump arrangement?