• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Behold - Heated Mirror Upgrade!

madspikes

This upgrade has been along time in coming along, and is still only half done, but I thought I'd post it anyway!

I have come up with a way of upgrading existing 205 mirrors to be heated, using some sticky sheets from ebay, which were $10!!

Ebay line

DSC01336.JPG

The processes.

- Remove mirror glass - Use a hair drier to warm the mirror glass, and to aid in removal. Makes the glue more flexible.

Your end up with:

DSC01334.JPG

and

DSC01335.JPG

- Clean off the existing glue / sticky pad off the mirror and stick new heated pad onto the back of the mirror.

DSC01338.JPG

- Attach suitable wiring to be run through to the car. I soldered the wiring on, but you could use spade connectors. The heated sheets draw 0.7amps each.

- Attach mirror in place using some good quality sticky pads, making sure to drop the cables through the first!

DSC01339.JPG

- Then drop the cables into the door ready for running into the car. I have connected them up the fed for the rear window demister.

The other morning:

Without:

DSC01378.JPG

With:

DSC01377.JPG

I have only done one side so far!

When I have some more time and fully finished it, I will post how I've actually connected it!

Mad.

Edited by madspikes
  • Like 1

Cameron

Very good little mod that! :D

Have you got a heated windscreen too? Would be very cool if you could link both to the same switch! ^_^

omega

so what size of pad did you go for? as i dont suppose you can cut them to fit.

madspikes

I cant remember which size I bought, and but I didnt cut them. I just bought the biggest size that would fit the glass. If you look 4th picture you can see the different tracks, sure you could trim them and lose the odd track

Mad.

pugpete1108

im all over this mod :)

gonna wire em in to the headed rear screen circuit

Daviewonder

Thats quite a cool mod. Saves hunting around for gentry and STDT mirrors.

I've not seen a 205 mirror without the glass before, those spiders have quite a lot of room :lol:

sensualt101

what a great upgrade and pretty chaep to do too! i wasnt aware that stdt and gentry had them as standard either so you really do learn something every day lol! looks like you can upgrade plenty from standard as i have seen a rare heated screen fitted somewhere on here too! :)

madspikes

Its just one of those silly upgrades that make using the car every day better. It take a surprising amount of time to wire through from the mirror into the car. I was initially think about changing the mirrors to get electric movable and heated mirrors, but decided I didnt need electric adjustable mirrors, and they'd never look right.

mad.

GLPoomobile

I've long fancied trying to make a fully electric adjustable mirror, but as with most things in my life, I've so far not been arsed to get around to it :blush:

I'm thinking along the lines of chopping out the metal arm inside (would need to solidly mount the mirror shell at the side though) and then transplanting the motor and gubbins from another mirror.

jackherer

You could probably make electric ones using BX mirrors, 309s have a mirror that is very similar to the BX and the mount on 309 doors is the same as 205s IIRC so some sort of hybrid seems feasible.

cRaig

Very impressive! How did you run them through the doors into the main body- are there spare pins on the round multiplugs? Easy enough to wire into them?

kyepan

This is cool, good work

Henry Yorke

Very impressive! How did you run them through the doors into the main body- are there spare pins on the round multiplugs? Easy enough to wire into them?

This is where it is much easier to do on Pre-91 cars as they just have a rubber hose and no multiplug :( From memory it is quite difficult to add extra pins into your round connectors. I know I looked when trying to update a Junior D to CL and EW about 16 years ago! I ended up replacing the round plugs with an early flex and joined the wires at the bottom of the A pillar

madspikes

This is where it is much easier to do on Pre-91 cars as they just have a rubber hose and no multiplug :( From memory it is quite difficult to add extra pins into your round connectors. I know I looked when trying to update a Junior D to CL and EW about 16 years ago! I ended up replacing the round plugs with an early flex and joined the wires at the bottom of the A pillar

Glad you are all liking my heated mirrors. I took me ages to find these little pads, and I'm over the moon with them. I love using my 205 as a daily driver, and there is only a few things that bug me about it as a daily driver, one was the lack of headed mirrors!!

I opened up the multiplug, and yes it looked like a total nightmare to put in new pins, and due to it being winter being too cold to work on cars outside... I've done a temp install.... I ran the cable out the side of the rubber hose the goes to the multi connector, and cable tied it between the car and the door. I then ran the cable under the door seal to get into the car finally. I didnt post any pictures as I'm not happy with it.

Wish I did the drivers side first.... just got to find time to do that side now!!!

I AM going to fix this in the summer, by running cables directly through the multi connector.

Mad.

GLPoomobile

If the multi connector option is a bit of a ballache, what about drilling new holes in the door and pillar, and fitting a thin rubber trunkt similar to those used for the wiring in the tailgate?

stufarri

Great mod well done in sourcing these pads.

I have been planning for a while to transplant my scrap Fiesta mK3 heated and electric mirrors into my 205 GTI mirror shells. I even bought some base model mirrors with no adjustable arms and solid blanking plates to finish the mirrors off - when I get round to it.

My heated screen is being fitted on Saturday too to match my heated seat pads and 5 hole panel/switches that I fitted recently. Just need a heated steering wheel conversion to finish it off :lol:

The downside is that my Gentry mirrors I have in the garage will be worth less now thanks to this handy tip!

cybernck

I've long fancied trying to make a fully electric adjustable mirror, but as with most things in my life, I've so far not been arsed to get around to it :blush:

I'm thinking along the lines of chopping out the metal arm inside (would need to solidly mount the mirror shell at the side though) and then transplanting the motor and gubbins from another mirror.

I've had the same idea as well. I'd stick with 205 shells, otherwise it would look awkward.

madspikes> Won't the heating element loosen up the glue? Don't be surprised if the mirror decides to pop off one day! :lol:

madspikes

I've had the same idea as well. I'd stick with 205 shells, otherwise it would look awkward.

madspikes> Won't the heating element loosen up the glue? Don't be surprised if the mirror decides to pop off one day! :lol:

I did have that thought, but so far seems ok. I did leave them on for a little while and poked the glass from behind and it seem quite secure. There isn't that much heat generated and its not something you leave running for hours and hours - well I don't anyway!!

Mad.

swinisskill

Bought a set of these hooked them up to the rear heated mirror switch, checked and both terminals have 12v but the pad isn't heating up, any ideas guys?

Ryan

Where have you earthed them?

BlueBolt

Bought a set of these hooked them up to the rear heated mirror switch, checked and both terminals have 12v but the pad isn't heating up, any ideas guys?

What size did you go for??

johnnyboy666

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130796005134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I went for those ones, didnt need any trimming, just had the bend the terminals forward so they didnt touch the metal inside the mirror, then after soldering on the wires, i made sure the terminals were really well insulated to avoid any danger of shorting.

The issue I'm having now is, I dont have a multimeter, and I dont know which wire to tap into from the heated rear window switch, anybody have any ideas?

Ryan

You don't need to tap into the existing wiring. There's a spare terminal on the fusebox that would have been the power feed for the factory-fitted heated mirrors. It's in the middle of the second row back. You just need that and an earth (plenty of spare earth terminals under the steering column).

BlueBolt

But surely then it would have no switch to turn it on or off?? Link it into the rear window switch and you have an on off point...