• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonb_5

Catch Can Installation

jonb_5

Hi

I am currently fitting an oil catch can to my 1.6 gti and wondered the best way to do it.

At present I have the breather which did have a pipe going back to the air intake which I have currently removed to go into the catch tank.

On closer inspection there seems to be a couple of other pipes going in to this breather, would you recommend routing just the current pipe or should I be looking to remove the breather all together and try and route all pipes to the catch can.

The oil breather pipe from the head goes into this breather...

Many Thanks

Jon

jonb_5

OK,

This is what I have done:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/miman/catchtank.jpg

The same as the picture, the pipe which used to go from the rocker cover to the sump is now blocked off at the sump and goes to the oil catch can.

The pipe which went in to the air inlet pipe now also goes to the oil catch can.

My only question is, what about the pipe which comes out of the oil filler cap going to the inlet manifold, can I remove this also or does this need to stay?

Thanks

Jon

allanallen

I'd leave the pipe from the cam cover to the sump alone. I'd put the pipes which normally go to the throttle body and 'air inlet' to your catch tank (the two that come off the top of the oil filler thingy) You'll obviously need to block the holes in the throttle body and inlet pipe.

Edited by allanallen

luggy

The setup I've used on my old 8 valver and current MI with very good results.

Blue:- from oil filler cap to catch tank, ensuring the pipe is plumbed in about half way down the tank and goes to the bottom of the tank, with a little bit of oil at the bottom covering the end to help any moisture to condense in the tank.

Red from top of the catch tank to the air inlet for the crank vapours to return.

Block off the little outlet from the oil filler cap and do the same to where it connects to the throttlebody.

Oil filler cap, remove the wire mesh from the cap and bore the large hole out so its the same diameter as the exiting pipe

Oil filler body, remove and bin the plastic insert and wire mesh from within .

Place the catchtank where its lower than the outlet from the filler cap.

Job done!

Edited by luggy