• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bob

Novis Timing Belt Fitting

Mr Bob

Hey guys

Just here to ask for some advice/guidance from more experienced members

I crashed my car over a year ago and in the crash the timing belt snapped, since then I have jigged the shell got the body work sorted, but now it's time for the engine

Few months ago I got an (ex) girlfriends father who works for Citroen to rebuild my head for me (so I'm hoping it's all good) I then bought new bolts/washer, gaskets etc and put the head back on (I've never done anything like this before so again I hope its done right)

Now I have got a timing belt and have now fitted it, but as I say I've never done this before but I'm very worried that something has been done wrong some where and the 1st turn of the key I'm going back to sqaure one, which I really can't afford to do (dont make a lot of money) and as I have had the car since 2006 I really wanna keep it and get to use it again....

Anyway done loads of searchs and followed a lot of advice and heres whats been done

following this autodata pic:

tb.jpg

I locked off the pullys

Photo0596.jpg

Photo0597.jpg

I installed the belt, there was 2 single markings on the belt and 1 double marking

Photo0595.jpg

The 2 singles lined up with the marks on the cam shafts but the double didnt line up with anything

T2 I just pulled as tight as I could against the belt and tighend it down, T1 I tighend up and with a screw driver I gently tapped down till it was very tight agesnt the belt

At the longest pat of the belt i can only get about a 40 to 45o twist on it with my fingers

I removed the pins and rotated the crank clockwise 4 times and the pins fitted back in

Photo0599.jpg

Does everything seem ok?

Thanks for any help you can give

Bob

welshpug

looks fine if a little loose between the cam pulleys pictured above, though that's part way through fitting isn't it?

as long as you can twist the belt between 45 and 90 on its longest run without excessive force, and all three locking pins slide in without force, turn it over by hand (two crank revolutions) and stick the pins back in, if they go ion then you're all done.

I can;t remember where the double mark should go, but as long as you have it fitted in the correct way round it matters not as long as it was fitted counter clockwise from the crank and all locking pins fit.

Mr Bob

looks fine if a little loose between the cam pulleys pictured above, though that's part way through fitting isn't it?

as long as you can twist the belt between 45 and 90 on its longest run without excessive force, and all three locking pins slide in without force, turn it over by hand (two crank revolutions) and stick the pins back in, if they go ion then you're all done.

I can;t remember where the double mark should go, but as long as you have it fitted in the correct way round it matters not as long as it was fitted counter clockwise from the crank and all locking pins fit.

Yeah most pics are of it mid way through fitting

At most it can be twisted 45 at the longest point

I've now rotated the crank 8 times (thats 2 full roatation?) and the pins fit back in no probs

Tom Fenton

At most it can be twisted 45 at the longest point

This sounds a little over tight to me. It does not want to be super tight, the head and block grow (thermal expansion) as they heat up, get it too tight with the engine cold and it is just as bad as too slack.

Sign in to follow this