• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeXS

Citroen Ax Gti

GeorgeXS

Seen this up for sale:

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3849054.htm

Been wondering are these any good, i remember that AX GT's have same engine and gearbox as the 205 XS which having had one, i absolutely loved! GTI's seem to have the same engine as 106 XSI so about 15 more bhp.

I don't really know anything about AX's, are they any good? From what i've read they sound pretty fun to drive and reasonably similar to 205's in essence.

Do they have any known weaknesses? Any similar parts across PSA range making spares easy to get? Anything else worth knowing?

And what are peoples thoughts on the price of this one? I think its a little steep at the moment but it looks very tidy and the bloke said he's open to offers so i'm tempted.

Cheers George

Tom Fenton

They are more like a 106 than a 205, a mate had an AX GT years ago and it was a real hoot. The GTI had an iron block engine, I seem to remember the GT was actually quicker? Either way they are certainly good fun, I'd be looking carefully for any rot, and they are also super flimsy, if you do get one for christs sake don't crash into anything in it!!

j_turnell

Great little cars! Mate Ben Allen on here had quite a few of these both the GT and the Gti. Gt was great laugh with the tu3s same as the xs but did feel a bit quicker, slightly lighter I believe.

As Tom mentions the GTi is based on the 106, build quality is better and ran the xsi lump, but doesn't have the character of the GT, slightly tamed in comparison. On the plus side handling was improved and they were 4 stud and not 3.

Common rust spot was the inner wings.

GeorgeXS

Cheers for the info guys.

Had a quick look at specs, the GTI is 70kgs heavier than the GT so that may explain the slightly tamed character.

Having a nosey around citroen servicebox also shows they had quite a few bit different to other AX's.

Different wishbones, ARB and vented discs to name just a few.

How different are the iron and alloy blocks between the TU engines, just i have an alloy block 205 XS engine sitting in the garage that isnt going anywhere in a hurry....

j_turnell

Think they may have ran 1.6 gti hubs disks and callipers.

Can't imagine it being too tricky to retro fit a tus3 but it depends how good the xsi lump is as if it's in good order I'd be inclined to stick with it.

If I was to chuck another engine in id chuck a 106 gti lump in for a bit more poke.

Tom Fenton

Ho ho ho, 3 stud wheels, I'd forgotten about those bad boys!!!

GeorgeXS

According to servicebox they are "Teves" calipers, dont look like 1.6 gti ones.

Was more meaning along the lines of swapping just the blocks and keeping the head, injection etc from the gti on the xs block.

Atari Boy

I had one in 1995, I loved it and commuted into London in it every day (50 odd miles each way). They are really low insurance group and the build quality will make a 205 look Germanic in comparison. Great cars, buy one.

GeorgeXS

Seems that "Teves" is actually ATE, learn something new everyday.

GeorgeXS

Edit again, seems i'm wrong, citroen don't list the name of the manufacturer.

Bigg Red shows that the only AX with vented discs (the GTI) has Girling calipers. They are listed as NFP though and i don't recognise them from anything else PSA.

welshpug

4 inches shorter wheelbase than a 106!

even the gti weighs in under 800 kilos, a 106 gti is 925, all in the AX is 2bhp down per ton, both the same quoted 0-60, GT is just over the 9 second mark which might suggest a different gearbox possibly :unsure:

loved my diseasel AX :D weighed in between the GT and GTI as it had an iron block engine but no toys, brilliant on fuel.

the gti's girling caliper was used on some 205's, but is quite rare, wouldn't be a problem to fit 205 calipers as long as the wheels have the clearance, they're the same discs as a 1.9, saxo vtr/s 106gti/rallye and lower spec 306's+zx+xsara.

most of the general service parts are easy to come by, its just specific body and trim you'll struggle with, same as my ZX 16v.

Edited by welshpug

GeorgeXS

Haha the wheelbase is so short, didn't know it was that small!

Do they share rear beam widths with anything else?

By being able to fit 205 calipers which do you mean welshpug, i have some 1.6 calipers at home not being used.

welshpug

any of them, same bolt radius, so 306 etc will fit as well.

GeorgeXS

Will the offset to the discs be right though, or are all the calipers the same offset, just the hubs and discs that change?

Simes

Mate had one back in the day, a real laugh to drive.

I always liked evo's summary of the GT, "build quality like an air fix model"!

Edited by Simes

Miles

You've got to stick a 16v lump in there, Bloody quick little car then :D

SAW

My cousin had one exactly the same as the above for sale, I sent him the link to if last week to see if he'd buy it (in fully expecting him to ice he offloads one of his massive collection he has)

His had a nice exhaust system, updated camshaft and a modified ECU. It went very well for a 1.4

I was close to buying one 2 years ago, same as above, but with 106 GTI engine fitted. I beg they go like stink.

From what my cousin was saying, the heater matrix went on his twice, and the pedals are annoyingly close together (like 106 and Saxo) which isn't ideal for big feet lol

swordfish210

I've been in a standard GTi and it was pretty fun, i would like to try one with a 16v engine in it.

feb

That looks like a really tidy example! Yes, the price is on the high side but it looks very clean.

I owned a 1.0 AX for 4 years and it was a very fun car despite the 45 bhp!

It was so light and the key to move fast was to keep the momentum going; this helped me develop as a driver as it required very smooth driving.

The only modification I did to it was to fit a set of second hand Bilstein struts from a Saxo.

The daily commute on the A339 was HUGE fun and nothing could catch me on the bends seriously!

Despite the only 4 gears and lack of rev counter, the engine was bulletproof despite being abused.

It was the cheapest to maintain car I have ever owned and would do 40/45mpg no matter how it was driven. This was the only time in my life I managed to save money while owning a car!

I bought it when it had 20k miles for £1000 (1 lady owner and FSH) and sold it 4 years later with 70k miles for £550!

The only thing it needed was to have a plate welded behind a headlight to pass a MOT but that was it.

Other than that, just oil services and spark plugs and it would keep going forever.

Edited by feb

Wes

106 and saxo suspension and rear beam bolt straight on i think, then you have got 4 stud hubs. a mate of mine just sold his that had a 16v lump in and was totally stripped out with perspex windows etc and that was as quick as my gti6.

GeorgeXS

Thanks for the advice and knowledge people, much appreciated!

My dad is going to look at this tonight for me so will soon see if its worth a dabble.

Along those lines, how much do you lot think its worth if it is as tidy as the pictures suggest?

I personally don't think any more than £1100-1200, what are your thoughts?

Tom Fenton

Probably not what you want to hear, but personally I think it is well worth the money, obviously you need to have a good look round, but on the surface of it I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better non messed with example.

• Like 1

chipstick

A lad I know of has 3 AX GTis.

This weekend was probably the only time I have ever really looked at one. The glovebox handle style boot button made me giggle.

Sinbad

A friend had a 4 door gt years ago,was seriously fun to drive,brilliant car,used to keep up with my 16v Honda engined Rover 216 Gti,on the corners it obliterated the rover.

That looks well.

gsidave

Had a 1.1 ax many years ago, you forget how much fun the tu engine is. Then bought a Gt ten years ago for 200 quid had 150k on the clock was a flying machine.