• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Galvanising/plating Companies In General.

SurGie

Just a little rant about the general public and how they have messed around with galvanising/plating companies too much.

They now only do minimum orders of around £80, some companies that i have used before wont take private customers work now because they have had too much hassle from them.

I wanted a few bits electroless nickel plating for its chemical and corrosion resistance, it is now not worth it because of their minimal orders or around £80.

I have tried quite a few places and they all seem to say the same sort of thing.

:angry:

cRaig

Ive found a good place in Weston super mare. No minimum price (although I have taken amounts no smaller than a couple of handfulls of bolts (was charged about 30 quid from memory)

They are called Avon electroplating, Tom Fenton was thinking about posting stuff to them (something I was going to try at some point to save the drive over) Might be worth dropping them an email? :)

Craig

http://www.avonelectroplating.co.uk/ Sound chaps, I would really recommend them

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 2

SurGie

Thanks Craig, that could just be the place im looking for :)

• Like 1

harryskid

I found this the other day never tried it though !

• Like 1

M@tt

that guy has a come to bed voice :D

• Like 1

SurGie

Thanks a lot guys.

Steve, ACE dont do electroless nickel plating, its the place where i took some torsion bar shouldered bolts to get zinc plated a few years ago, good quality though.

Dale, that place could be what im looking for too.

I'll check them out when i get time and see how it goes with postage etc.

Good to know that places like these are still around.

martyn180

George, I believe derby plating do nickel. It's on abbey street. I'm having some other plating done min is 35 plus vat per plate and went yesterday.

Having loads zinc silver/gold plated bits off a replacement beam done.

You could buy a pair of bolts off eBay for less than a tender though if that's all you need that are already plated. I also will have a spare set of offset washers/screws for the trailing arm plated in a couple of weeks for sale.£6.00

• Like 1

SurGie

Thanks Martyn, thats another place to try.

I managed to earn another break from work and rang AVON and they dont do electroless nickel plating only nickel :(

I then tried Macro and they told me how a lot of people go to them because there aren't many companies around that do electroless plating and are the best. They were more than happy to take a delivery of my items then ring me with a price being a private customer. He said they get recommended all the time from enthusiasts to other enthusiasts etc.

I could just buy them all new from Pug but then they will only be coated in zinc/galv which wont last that long and it will be more expensive tbh. Im thinking of getting my stud conversion studs coated too, match the nuts N polished rims :D thats the OCD detailer in me again :lol:.

dale205mills

They are really nice blokes at macro and the finish they can do is really nice.

The key to this is prep on are part, what I do is mix up off chemicals and drop every thing in there for a while and that removes everything, I then use my wire wheel on bench grinder to clean the parts and then I drop them down to the guys, ho will clean them again and put them threw the process, shey do.hame you are not local as they will give you a tour off what t

• Like 1

chipstick

Ive found a good place in Weston super mare. No minimum price (although I have taken amounts no smaller than a couple of handfulls of bolts (was charged about 30 quid from memory)

They are called Avon electroplating, Tom Fenton was thinking about posting stuff to them (something I was going to try at some point to save the drive over) Might be worth dropping them an email? :)

Craig

http://www.avonelectroplating.co.uk/ Sound chaps, I would really recommend them

I am going to have to bear these people in mind.

I have a few brackets and the likes which I was going to blast and then take to be powder coated but I may go down this route for a change.

Presumably they like to receive the bits in clean blasted condition rather than rusty old bits?

SurGie

I will be using some strong derusting solution with hot water then give them all a dam good spin with the wire brush machine, the way i see it is if its easier for them to do the better result my parts will get., maybe cheaper too.

They do seem to be very helpful and willing to take my small amount on, using the postage method too. It is a pity im not any closer to them but at least they can help me out, cheers Dale.

Thanks 1 FAT PUG, they are very close to where im at and will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say about my small job.

Edited by SurGie

cRaig

I am going to have to bear these people in mind.

I have a few brackets and the likes which I was going to blast and then take to be powder coated but I may go down this route for a change.

Presumably they like to receive the bits in clean blasted condition rather than rusty old bits?

Most of the bits I took in were fairly clean, but things like the front hub flange plates were pretty well rusted, they just said they left them in for a bit longer, wasnt any problem for them.

dcc

proper gutted not to see any major shiney items in here

dale205mills

For you dcc

enginebay1.jpgfeb01.jpgfeb02.jpgonramp7.jpgzincplated1.jpgzincplated2.jpg

• Like 3

SurGie

Wow Dale thats very nice indeed, its what i'm trying to aim for when mine is fully finished off. The beam looks very well done. Did you paint them yourself ?

That's reminded me, i also need the slam panel bonnet shroud plated, while im a it.

dale205mills

Every thing you see on that car was done by me in my workshop at home, only thing I didn't do was the plating but I did look at buying a set up but it was cheaper for some one else to do it. Your are more then welcome to take a look at my links in my signature to see my workshop and all the photo's of what I did on my 205, I restored the underside one winter and the engine bay the next winter, I was lucky I had time on my hands as in I didn't need to go to work so it had 100 percent of my attention on it.

• Like 1

Bogsye

I used Avon Electroplating that Craig mentioned, and was really happy with their service. Martin was about the only place that would do public work, that I could locate. Tried locally here in Glasgow to no avail.

Turnaround was quick and he did a nice job on my engine & engine bay fasteners. I did originally buy my own electroplating kit, and did initially get some good results, but I struggled to keep it all running well. In the end it was too time consuming, and fairly expensive to get up and running in comparison to using Avon.

Brian

SurGie

Thanks again for all the help people :)

After some more research i discovered that getting all the bolts electroless nickel plated would cost far too much. I found that olive drab zinc plating is also very good at corrosion resistance. It comes as a green coating and is used on the army vehicles mostly.

I will still be getting the brake compensator's electroless nickel plated, they have been sent to Macro in Portsmouth a few days ago, should get them back within a week or so. They will be having the medium Phosphorus coating, which isn't the best rating compared to the high but good enough for the price.

I was going to go to the Nottingham place but they told me that electroless nickel plating isn't any good for corrosion resistance but olive drab is :( ?? I saved some cash by getting the rest of them sorted by ACE off Walford road with the olive drab and bright zinc for the visible bolts/nuts. Although ACE told me that they had problems getting them olive drab coated, they tried a few times, it just wasn't bonding, they got there in the end though. I did completely derusted them using deox C, degrease them all well.

So i booked this afternoon off to sort a few other errands out, i went to pick them up, not bad for £30 quid i think.

A few pictures for you >

th_Zincbolts002.jpg th_Zincbolts001.jpg

Now can anyone guess which bolts are for what purpose ;)

• Like 1

James504

Subframe rack spacers(2) and bottom ball joint/upper hub bolts(4)?

• Like 1

SurGie

Subframe rack spacers(2) and bottom ball joint/upper hub bolts(4)?

Yes the sub frame rack spacers are correct, although the 4 long bolts are not for the hubs. All the above parts are for the front chassis bolts N bits.

Clue, the 4 long bolts usually get rusted in especially on sunroof models...

The small M6 set of five has one missing, there should be six of them, found the missing one on the floor after the pictures were taken.

Tom Fenton

£30 for 28 fasteners? They are having your eyes out. I've had half a bucket of stuff done for £30 before. I would find another plater.