• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yeti-dj

Siem Fog Lights

yeti-dj

Hello, after storing my little 205 for 18 months I had the sad discovery yesterday that my yellow Siem fog lights have rotted away, not happy!!!

Anyway I have another brand new set of Siem fog lights but they have the silver reflector in them rather than the yellow, has anyone ever opened the lights up and tinted the reflector and if so what did you use,

I really liked the yellow reflectors on the little green car.

Any ideas?

S@m

You can always use film to make the lense yellow rather than the reflector.

I used lamin-x on mine, and they came out quite well - although they aren't as yellow when they are on as coloured reflector ones. Also the film would protect the glass on your new ones,

Heres a distant and blurry pic but you get the idea;

.post-13709-0-55667800-1341771223_thumb.jpg

Sam

Edited by Sam306

martyn180

Yellow glass paint to paint the inner side of the lenses. Available from hobby craft eBay

Daviewonder

Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees and then turn it off. Put your lenses on a baking tray, lense up and place in oven for 5 mins.

Remove from oven and gently prise lenses away from backing using a butter knife. Remove old sealant from lense and backing. Paint reflectors using Granville amber bulb paint and allow to dry. Reseal lense to backing using white waterproof sealant for that OE look.

lenses001.jpg

lenses002.jpg

grio002.jpg

Edited by Daviewonder
  • Like 4

yeti-dj

Forgot about this post.

Genius idea, so thanks a lot.

Another job added to the list

Thanks

pug_ham

Are you sure it isn't the lens that yellow & not the reflector?

It just unscrews easily enough, as long as the screws aren't rusted out.

They used to be available with both clear & yellow lenses iirc.

g

yeti-dj

Hello, the lights that are knackered are genuine Seim fog lights so have a different lense and the reflector is yellow where the Siem spot lights I have are just a chrome reflector.

Gonna split the good spot lights, paint the reflector and then refit the good fog light lenses, happy days. Just a shame the fog lights I paid a fortune for have fallen to bits, but I guess that's what happens when u leave you car sitting for around 2 years!

lagonda

I have the service history for my car. From new in 1989 to when I bought it in 2003, it had had 6 pairs of replacement driving lights....and those fitted were rusty as hell. So...I'm not buying new ones, what's the point?!

welshpug

I fitted new ones six years ago, reflectors are fine, surrounds only have surface rust.

Miles

Almost the same, fitted some Siem units 5 + years ago and still like new, Compare them to Denji's (well you cannot) and there gone within 12 months