• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Quickshift Gearsticks

dave205

Has anyone had a go at making there own from an old 205 gear stick, is it possible?

allye

Hi dave, yes its entirely possible. I had a custom lever made to the dimensions of Anthony's extended lever, I had it extended top and bottom so the knob is a lot closer to the wheel but the throw remains the same, you could have the bottom part extended further to reduce the throw of the lever. What ever you do make sure you get a very good welder/fabricator/engineer to do it!

SurGie

With the gearstick being a tube shape, this welding video technique may help you gain some proper weld penetration.

All you would need is a quality welder, tapered weld ends and the right lengths of stick either end.

• Like 1

dave205

Hi dave, yes its entirely possible. I had a custom lever made to the dimensions of Anthony's extended lever, I had it extended top and bottom so the knob is a lot closer to the wheel but the throw remains the same, you could have the

bottom part extended further to reduce the throw of the lever. What ever you do make sure you get a very good welder/fabricator/engineer to do

it!

So extending the top will give me more throw, so extending the bottom will reduce it back to what it was originally? I'd like to extent the stick marginally but also want to reduce the throw. Will extending the bottom cause clearance issues with the heatshield/exhaust?

How much did you extend yours by?

Baz

Around 5" at the top, an inch at the bottom or so works well, if not a little more, here's one of mine;

th_0FB0BFD6.jpg

The one in that now is a little taller again and the one in my road car is similar but retaining all the standard trim & standard style gearknob and could be mistaken for standard.

Edited by Baz

harryskid

With the gearstick being a tube shape, this welding video technique may help you gain some proper weld penetration.

All you would need is a quality welder, tapered weld ends and the right lengths of stick either end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JohBHzhOyPg

Ha Ha George that looks a bit large for a gear stick mate !

MiniGibbo

Ha Ha George that looks a bit large for a gear stick mate !

That's what she said.

• Like 1

dave205

Around 5" at the top, an inch at the bottom or so works well, if not a little more, here's one of mine;

th_0FB0BFD6.jpg

The one in that now is a little taller again and the one in my road car is similar but retaining all

the standard trim & standard style gearknob and could be mistaken for standard.

Mines to go in a stripped car so doesnt matter to much about trim. Do you have any issues with the bottom of the stick fouling the heatshields/exhaust?

Henry Yorke

post-3457-0-15112500-1343773766_thumb.jpg

My CTI one. Nice and punchy through the gears. Lightly clips on the cat on second, but managable.

allye

Here's mine, lift reverse fits fine for my 6speed.

IMG_20120222_160754.jpg

IMG_20120120_160327.jpg

Doesn't hit the exhaust at all.

Miles

You can also adjust the position of the mount where the stick bolts thru if making a long lever

dave205

Thanks to all for the pics and advice, im going to make a start on mine soon!

Baz

Mines to go in a stripped car so doesnt matter to much about trim. Do you have any issues with the bottom of the stick fouling the heatshields/exhaust?

Nope, nothing. I do have a modified L-quadrant on the subframe too, gear to gear movement is really reduced, shift-time is too obviously and you can get your hands back on the wheel very quickly.

I wouldn't go too long on a rally car, but on a road/track car i'd happily extend the bottom a little longer for a shorter-shift, but be warned, go too far and it makes it horrid.

dave205

What mods have you done to the L-bracket then? I want it to be reasonably short, but when you say it can be to short, i pressume it becomes snatchy?

engine killer

What mods have you done to the L-bracket then? I want it to be reasonably short, but when you say it can be to short, i pressume it becomes snatchy?

you can always shorten the short side or extend the long side. i extended the long side as it gives "options" to go back to original and a few different settings.

post-4860-0-17463800-1344065460_thumb.jpg

post-4860-0-43668900-1344065469_thumb.jpg

harryskid

A couple of questions about the Satchell gear change. The rod that goes through the bulkhead, does it miss the heater motor and i have a gti6 engine will it be clear of the downpipe. I also have a central ally piece from the dash to the tunnel which carries kill switches and fuses ect but i can alter that to suit.I would hope this conversion is worth the effort on a rally car as i need a quick precise gear change. I am not worried at the cost but just how much work is involved!

daza4

Try sandy on this as he works with Colin. I think Colin is on here too eore is his name I believe.

Baz

Rallyeash has one so might be able to answer.