• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Yet Another How Not To Gti6 Conversion

Miles

First start off with 2 Alarms and 2 immobilisers

IMG_1708.jpg

Followed by the removal and very odd way of wiring up the car with only half the sensors connected

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

Never seen the interior sensor loom pulled thru under the bonnet before and connected up to the loom, leaving the multi plugs just in case you want to stick it back in a 306 :lol:

Mind solder and heat-shink have been used and a couple of Rivnut's installed to hold the battery box down

Weekend's work is remove engine and untilt it, Clean engine bay and refit with nice new loom so everything works

I'll see if anyone can guess who did the conversion, wasn't cheap either

• Like 2

commievid

Oh gosh, this is mine isn't it?

Two alarms?! Good grief.

welshpug

Hampshire or leicestershire?

gerry

hahahaha quality!!!

cheesegrater

Somewhere close to a rally school?

damien

for some reasion i thought it was going to be a pic of mine :ph34r:

"jonnie" rings a bell with the above..

CosKev

Nice work :huh:

Unreal what crap some 'experts' chuck out :ph34r:

• Like 1

SurGie

I wouldn't even dream about doing that to a car, even if the customer wasn't paying me for fitting it.

Im happy taking the choice i did in doing it all myself, even when taking 4 years to finish it, rather than getting this type of work done to it at a price too.

dodsworth_gti

slightly off topic but i bought a 205 that had 2 alarms and 2 imobilisers and the second day i had it they messed up,1 imobliser on,1 off,when you turned the other off it activated the other,and carried on like that.ending up that i had to abandon the car and get it to a auto electrics guy to sort it out as i wasnt willing to tackle the sheer mess of wiring lol

Cameron

Who did that then? I don't think it's unfair to name and shame when people are getting suckered in to paying for work that shoddy! It serves as a good warning to others who may be considering their "services".

S@m

Pretty sure 2 alarms and immobilisers must be standard because mine is still an 8v and it had one behind the dash and one behind the headlight......... :blink:

Both gone and just a single ai606 in their place now.

commievid

I do find it ironic that Miles now needs to take the engine out, so for all intents and purposes, it would be like he was doing this conversion from scratch.

Maybe one day I'll have to find and chase up the previous owner and ask the obvious questions.

Regardless, I took the punt, and I hope to the heavens nothing else gets unearthed!

harryskid

Been there mine had to be fitted twice, leaving a big hole in the wallet, wish i had gone to Miles first ! :)

GLPoomobile

Regardless, I took the punt, and I hope to the heavens nothing else gets unearthed!

Unfortunately in these situations you do tend to find that the more layers you peel back, the more crap you reveal. I do hope they haven't bodged too much else, but at least your car is in the right hands if they have :)

Simes

Been there mine had to be fitted twice, leaving a big hole in the wallet, wish i had gone to Miles first ! :)

I've left my car with Miles twice and always leave with a big hole in my wallet!!!

Worth it though. :D :D :D

I'm guessing the original conversion was done over in Oxfordshire.

Edited by Simes

Miles

One of those things for me, To muck around upside down trying to take the exhaust manifold off it's quicker to remove it as most of the engine is out anyway so 2 driveshafts and that's about it

There's a couple of rust spots under the bonnet so I'll treat those once I get my grease monkey to clean the engine bay on Monday

I think it may have been to another company in Hampshire before the conversion due to the other loom hole in the bulkhead which is a tell tell sign of there's, due to leaving all the old 8v loom in place.

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

The other little bodge was the rear cam cover, as we know they need removing to grind some alloy off to clear the M/S, and quite often the seal tends to fall apart, THe seal had been taken off this and a huge amount of sealer used (Hence the leak) and the inner mating surface was ground down but at a angle so defeats the object.

Mind I Know Dave (Previous owner) knew about the loom but not the other bit's.

commievid

Blimey, the servo looks in a poor state.

I guess the steering rack would be easy to replace with the engine bay completely clear.

Is the rust in the engine bay extremely bad or reasonable? You could probably have guessed I quickly went over some easy to access bits with some wet and dry and kurust.

After the engine bay, the only areas of rust left could be under the carpet (ignorance may be bliss here) and under the car itself, so if another area of the car bodywork wise can be ticked off I'll be quite happy.

harryskid

I've left my car with Miles twice and always leave with a big hole in my wallet!!!

Worth it though. :D :D :D

I'm guessing the original conversion was done over in Oxfordshire.

I don't mine a big hole in the wallet if the jobs done well and the really annoying bit is the first so called mechanic that fitted the moter first knows he f'd it up and waves to me like i am a friend. I do how ever have the satisfaction of putting a few people off using him! :D

• Like 1

Miles

Getting there now, Engine bay is cleaner

IMG_1732.jpg

Rusty bit's done bar the side bit's which can be done anytime, Steering UJ boot re-fitted as it was half hanging out

The 306 throttle cable will be cut down instead of being routed all around the engine bay too

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

Prime example of the wrong size or standard Fuel Banjo being used with the old inner pipe still on there, Not good on the high pressure side

IMG_1735.jpg

Yes in the ideal world the entire engine bay could do with a respray but at least it's presentable now

Even the engine is looking better

IMG_1736.jpg

just need to find a fork now as the old one was extended and the bolt was rusted solid in the bush so had to be cut out

Edited by Miles
  • Like 2

commievid

Before and after pictures are quite something!

So its the manifold, power steering, put engine and wiring back in and the new immobiliser/central locking remaining?

Keep up the excellent work!

commievid

Prime example of the wrong size or standard Fuel Banjo being used with the old inner pipe still on there, Not good on the high pressure side

I presume a larger banjo would suffice? Is that something you have readily available?

• Like 1

Miles

I'm sorting the Powersteering parts out tomorrow, Have to find a new front engine mount as for some reason a few people cut the power steering pump mount off, no a big issue thou

along with some new tensioner's for the new belt to go with it all

Banjo's I have in stock so not a issue and would be fitted no matter what

Miles

Excuse the photo quality, Joys of a Iphone

• Like 1

SurGie

Try the GT191 a far better quality phone with better picture taking, its a good alrounder which reminds me of the iphone only better.

Loving the model number of it lol.