• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Xu5 Head Differences How Many?

ALEX

If your're following my progress in the CTI restoration thread you'll see I had to replace the block and bought one off Speno on here who offered me the whole engine for the same price :) (minus the external bolt on stuff like inlet,exhaust etc)

I've notciced a few odd things when building the head that I never took much notice untill I spent my time on a plane reading the 205 gti enthusiast's handbook. (proper geeky stuff, but I didn't give a s*it, It's a good read)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=205+gti+enthusiast%27s+handbook&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1440&bih=750&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=SRRlDP3HFjPG7M:&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peugeot-205-GTI-Enthusiasts-Companion/dp/0947981187&docid=qufnJkUOVEpdhM&imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ncwB4MrAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=1D91UMe8BpKa1AWDnIHwAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=261&sig=101631099889005045256&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=136&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:86&tx=27&ty=97

(Sorry for the long link)

From reading it the early heads with 105 BHP were fitted to models before 1986, so from my understanding the CTI was unlikely to have had a 105 BHP engine as this was the year the CTI was released. Also mine is an 1988 F plate.

Externally they can be identified with not having a pipe connection on the cam cover so I've always assumed mine was the later one.

The engine from Speno was the later type D6B with the eccentric cam belt tensioner rather than the spring tenssioned one and I noted the head inlet valves valves were a little larger and profiled thinner obvioulsy to improve flow. the exhausts valves were the same size but I could be mistaken as I wansn't too concerened at the time.

I'd alredy spend £200 on the original head with the vapour blasting, skim, valve seats recutting and a valve guide replace, so I decided to fit it back on. I assumed the other more developed head was a compensate for a cat or something. Besides the cam in it was f**ked with half a cam lobe worn away.

Ive never really driven the CTI before I stripped it, and the guy sold it to me with a spare AFM he had a several of them and said the one on it was the the best, and TBH it did run fine.

Now Im putting it back together Ive a noticed the distibutor advance/retard slots have been enlarged (broken through one end), though I don't remember what position it was in when I removed it nearly 3 years ago.

It was that that got me concerened when reading that the cams and timming are different in the early heads and now I wonder if the head had been replaced witth an early one and just had the cam cover replaced.

So my questions are:-

Is there anyway I can identify what cam is in it?

Did Peugeot develop more than just 2 types cylinder heads and could mine be an inbetween?

Would there be another explanaton for the modified distributor slots?

Slo

If its a D6B it certainly isnt a 105 bhp engine as its a XU9JA 1.9 128 BHP engine. Ive also got an E reg 1987 1.6 cti and its got the same lump and someone on here told me the same thing, thought it was bloody nippy for a 1.6

ALEX

sorry my mistake I meant B6E.

The one that came with the car (head that's now fitted on the B6E block) didn't have anything to identify it

Edited by ALEX

Miles

There is a date stamp on the back.

ALEX

There is a date stamp on the back.

On the cam?

ALEX

http://forum.205gtid...attach_id=14783

This is the only thing stamped on the back

It's upside down but its a 5 in the middle of a star with three dots in the top right

then a 4 and a 3 as shown to the right

I'm not too concerned about having only 105 bhp but the timming difference has me concerned. That is if Its got the ignition components for the 115 BHP engine.

I'm hoping to have it in this weekend, not running yet though as I still need to sort the wiring and many other things, but I still could do with knowing if it's going to run OK with the ignition components I have before I spend money replacing them.

Edited by ALEX