• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
laldy875

Finally Fixed 205 Gti6! It Works!

laldy875

Symtoms: 4k hesitant, hard to start, fuel smelly, no power

Well basically I converted my 205 to a xsara vts engine last year and it didn't run right from the start. I had the above symtoms, so I replaced the fuel pump and it ran ok for a while and gradually got worse.
I then replaced most of the sensors on the engine, changed the head gasket, checked loom for continuity, rebuild the engine and still the problems persisted.

Replaced: head gasket, cts, icv, map, IAT, inlet gasket, fuel pump, pressure regulator.

I know these symtoms could be a number of things (everyone points at coilpacks, HG, lambda, wiring etc.) but recently I suspected the fuel pump was playing up again. The gti6 rail runs at approx 45psi. So in real terms if the rail was connected up to supply with no clip on it would come loose spraying fuel everywhere, which was not the case when I checked it. In fact when I got a hold of a pressure tester, I found I was only getting 14.5psi at the rail on prime. Later on closer inspection of the fuel pump, I found the grommet seal had a crack in it,(pictures: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=147095&do=findComment&comment=1324065) which perfectly sums up the way the car was. This weekend I made up a nylon bush replacement on the lathe (nightmare of a job) and hey presto this thing shifts. I'm so chuffed with it now, been worth my while. Now fitted richw lightened flywheel and tran-x and it is so fun to drive.

I have to admit a week ago I was thinking of abandoning the project altogether but now I love my pug again. I hope this can maybe help someone else out trawling through the ridiculous amounts of threads and information on the forum that has been so helpful to me on this conversion.

Thanks to spikysteve, richw, nickaliath and Anthony for helping me out.

Keen for pugfest 2013!

• Like 1

Spiky

Nice one, what a pain it's been, you can enjoy now

sensualt101

well done mate.

its always good to hear a mystery running issue has been found and solved making another happy 205 driver! :)

chipstick

Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

Anthony

Interesting, and well spotted! :)

I suspected that the fuel pump might have an issue with not holding pressure due to the starting issue, but I've not seen a pump related fault cause the running issues that you were experiencing as well. Typical failure mode is that they'll appear to be OK and the engine will be fine low and mid-range, but die off at top end where the fuel pump can't supply enough fuel and the mixture goes lean. I'm guessing that yours must have been losing sufficient fuel through that split that it was going lean mid-range as well, causing the hesitation.

As said though, good spot, as a hairline crack like that out of sight is the sort of thing that's typically a nightmare to find.

laldy875

Got it working just in time for the snow. Seems a bit better with the tran-x but sliding about