• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stumpyjag

Cti Front Windows Help

stumpyjag

Hi, Can anyone please tell me if there is anyway of adjusting the alignment of the front windows on a Cti. At the moment the top edge of the window glass is catching the roll bar and not sealing on the door seal. In general the windows are a good fit and are not to lose but if I lift the edge of the window just a few mm the door closes perfectly. Just wondered if there was anyway of tweaking them. Many thanks.

Slo

The glass should have a plastic clip at the top front corner that is trapped in between the rubber strips in the window guide of the A glass. If it breaks off or is missing there will be nothing to hold it in position. The rubber strips could have also worn away too

stumpyjag

Ah, I see. So i guess thats what stops the window from 'drooping'. I will check that out. Thanks

Slo

Np also, in my experience it is far easier to replace the glass with one that has the clip attached as it is secured with a brass pressed in rivet and trying to prise the old one off or a new one on can result in the glass breaking

Henry Yorke

I seem to recall there is an alignment screw.....

...making me get my Haynes out!!

post-3457-0-39033700-1358205699_thumb.jpg

stumpyjag

Thanks for the info. On removing the glass from the car the holes in the plastic clips have worn oval letting the window flop around and one of them is missing all together. I am guessing new ones will be like hens teeth so whats the best way of fixing them back in the original position. I have never used any but would glass glue for rear view mirrors work?

stumpyjag

Just I case anyone comes up against this problem in the future I found that bog standard super glue fixed the plastic sliders onto the glass perfectly. My windows now slide up and down perfectly square.

Slo

Hope you put lots on then as water will dissolve superglue over time (rain) glad you got it sorted though ;) pain in the arse them front windows to take out, the rears also have the exact same clips and are held in in the same way

stumpyjag

It was one of the main things wrong with the car I have just bought. I was worried that there could be something seriously wrong with the door or even worse the body. Now that its sorted you can shut the doors without smashing the windows. Thanks for your help.

jonnyvandijk

I have the exact same problem! Funny as I have posted the question on PSCUK. My top clip is missing so I'm going to try and remove the bottom one and put it the top. Hope that fixes it! But like you say the glass will smash against the pillar one of these days if I leave it.

Edited by jonnyvandijk
  • Like 1

stumpyjag

I had that idea but you really need both otherwise the bottom of the window flaps around just as bad. I was lucky in the end and all of mine were still there just. Best thing is to just try and fashion one out of something, dont know what though?

Henry Yorke

I have the exact same problem! Funny as I have posted the question on PSCUK. My top clip is missing so I'm going to try and remove the bottom one and put it the top. Hope that fixes it! But like you say the glass will smash against the pillar one of these days if I leave it.

I was just about to let you know about this post Jonny!

ALEX

I fixed mine using a flared copper brake line cut to about 5-6mm and used a rivet in the other side to fix it in place.

It's stronger than the original fixing and moves freely too with flush faces both side.

I'll get a pic posted up.

All you need is a bit of scrap brake line, a flaring tool, a pipe cutter a short rivet that fits inside the brake line and a rivet gun.

ALEX

Not tried it in the door guide yet, but it looks flush enough to fit.

If it's a tight fit I might need to grind down the copper flare a little.

The pipe cutter I used wouldn't cut the pipe short enough with a flare on the end, so i filed it down rubbing it against a file held with a pair of pointy nosed pliers. In hindsight I could have taken a bit of fat out of the flare then.

Edited by ALEX