• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Are These Original Mudflaps Or Just Pattern ?

dch1950

Any one know if these are original Pug mud flaps. I'm looking for a pair in order to get some made.

thanx

Dave

m_attt

cant answer the question, but i guess you have just seen the £300 price tag they seam to go for on ebay. would be interested if do get some made though.

welshpug

Yup, mine look like that, i will dig them out on the weekend if i remember.

dch1950

Hi m_attt,

I thought it was going to be tricky identifying the originals. This my front N/S one that has just dropped off. I have been thinking about getting some made but need an OEM one in order to get the tooling right.

These are hard rubber moulded though - not plastic, and have a separate push fit GTi badge.

regards

Dave

Edited by dch1950

dch1950

Hi WP,

Are you therefore confirming that this is an original ?

regards

Dave

welshpug

Yes, certainly an accurate copy if not!! Though have not seen any copies, mine were bought from a dealer some 6 years ago roughly.

dch1950

Cheers WP

These were fitted to my 1.6 when I bought it in 1999. They lasted well

regards

Dave

stufarri

Dave, these are the early rubber originals before the fronts changed to plastic ones and then went NLA 12 months or so ago.

The rears remained in rubber until they too went NLA.

The later plastic fronts do not have the line imprinted on them where the badge goes, they are smooth all over.

There were very early larger shaped ones too with a the GTI or CTI badges as outlines and there were some of these (phase 1 era) on ebay last week for £175.

dch1950

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the info - looks like these were probably factory fitted then. I have lost my o/s one - it fell off, but the guy I'm talking to about making replicas says no probs - just a quick axis mirror and there you go..

Once I've cleaned it up I'll get it sent to him and he'll price the tooling for me. I think there is a good possibility that the price will be manageable and provided the metal work can be made and I can get the gti badge done, and provided..... no honestly this looks like a good investment for US the owners to benefit. £175 - bloody hell, and I see a pair of m/flap badges going over £50 (probably) - shame on you Scottbarton :)

If it looks commercially viable I will go ahead with this. Watch this space

regards

Dave

PS how are the mats going - I've not been active for a while due to a heart attack, but they look great.

D

Edited by dch1950

stufarri

Good stuff Dave and sorry to hear about your ill health.

Mats seem to be going down well, our recent driving light protectors created by Craig and funded by the PSCUK went well too, with only 3 pairs from 75 remaining (get some if you can before they all go!).

I'd be interested to see what the tooling costs are for these mudflaps as I agree that we are in desperate need. Craig was keen to look into getting these re-manufactured too along with headlight protectors.

All the best!

dch1950

Hi Stuart,

Craig and I are talking :)

will keep members informed as we proceed

Dave

• Like 1

m_attt

Will look forward to the progress, If you find someone who can reproduce the badges, would it be worth seeing if thay can do the tailgate badge aswell, as that has gone completly?

stufarri

The French 205 GTI Club have already done the rear badge so I may see if we can sort something with them if the PSCUK decides to fund any more remanufacture. We could consider an exchange of remanufactured parts with them potentially.

stufarri

The PSCUK have the DLPs that we could barter with so far and any others that we consider too.

dch1950

This is the link for the rear tailgate badge : http://www.peugeot205-gtipowers.com/t3956-commande-fabrication-monogramme-gti?highlight=monogramme+arriere

they had around 200 on their list just before Xmas

They sell to non members and there is an order form if you scroll down a bit displayed as "Bon de Commande". This is a free to join forum so is worth the effort.

regards

Dave

scottbarton

Just seen a 'new' tailgate badge pop up on eBay with a price tag of £50. I just replaced mine with a nearly new one that cost £35 on ebay so any reproduction would be a great benefit!

I was also lucky enough to snap up on a 'Buy it now' a set of used rear GTI mudflaps (the ones with the extendable arms that connect underneath), they are in pretty good condition and can be used as a pattern if required. I only put thyem on the car yesterday! Needed a bit of cleaning, and coated the metalwork in Hammerite to smarten them up. I also have the harder plastic type GTI front mudflaps that will be going on the car shortly. These are brand new, and if wanted as pattern, again am willing for them to be used. Am i right in thinking the plastic ones were the follow up cheaper version to the rubber ones?

There are also another type of rubber rear mudflaps, for a standard 205 and Rallye. They also have a fixing kit for use on a GTI (utilising some kind of angled bracket) and screws into the valance from what i can see from the instructions. Have a brand new set of these after i bought them from Germany thinking they were fronts....doh! They are currently selling on eBay as i dont need them.

And as for the new mudflap badges David...they went for £30.. ;-)

Will be placing an order shortly with you for a couple of new bolsters for my drivers seat...am setting myself a challenge to repair it rather than buying a re-furbed set!

dch1950

Hi Scott,

Just joshing about the badges mate.It was all this talk of OEM rubber flaps going for 100's of pounds - unreal. From what Stuart tells me plastic (PVC) was the last variant, preceded by 2 all rubber ones. Craig has pictures of my front flaps and seems to think that the plastic ones he has (fronts and rears) look the same overall but I'm waiting to get some jpgs from him to confirm that. I sent my one front m/flap to a moulding firm to get the initial estimates going.

I think it's important to establish which variant is the best, and hence which fixings, badges etc. will form the common patterns. Once that's done things will be clearer. I know from past experience that this will not be cheap though.

Just got a new batch of thigh bolsters made so look forward to your order.

regards

Dave

scottbarton

Hi Scott,

Just joshing about the badges mate.It was all this talk of OEM rubber flaps going for 100's of pounds - unreal. From what Stuart tells me plastic (PVC) was the last variant, preceded by 2 all rubber ones. Craig has pictures of my front flaps and seems to think that the plastic ones he has (fronts and rears) look the same overall but I'm waiting to get some jpgs from him to confirm that. I sent my one front m/flap to a moulding firm to get the initial estimates going.

I think it's important to establish which variant is the best, and hence which fixings, badges etc. will form the common patterns. Once that's done things will be clearer. I know from past experience that this will not be cheap though.

Just got a new batch of thigh bolsters made so look forward to your order.

regards

Dave

I know mate, no offence taken. ;-) I too was dumbfounded at the set of new rears that went for £377 the other week. Who in their right mind would spend that kind of money on two bits of rubber! Insane. Indeed, the '205' ones i am currently selling are up to £120, with a couple of used GTI badges.

Owning both harder plastic front flaps, and the rubber type rears, in my opinion the rubber ones win hands down. They 'feel' and 'look' more OE than the plastic ones. They both have the same GTI badges on them though, secured from the rear by the little star type washer.

Happy to help in any way if you need any more pics, info, dimensions etc to get this project off the ground.

Will place order later today online via your website. I am all set on it...black thread ordered, instructions at the ready, and this forum for moral support!

stufarri

Gents, the rears were only ever in rubber and these and the front rubber ones are the ones to have.

The plastic front ones are at odds with the design of the rear ones too, as per my earlier post.

I have 3 sets of rears and plastic fronts so between us there are plenty to mould fro (1 set on each of my cars and another spare used set).

Due to the complexity of these, I think that the price will be prohibitive as you would need to make a good few hundred sets to make it viable - realistically you'd struggle to sell more that 100 sets, in my opinion.

I'd guess the tooling and additional metalwork costs will be high as you have said Dave.

Best of luck though!

dch1950

It never hurts to find out in my opinion. Once we establish the max price from the moulders it may be possible to reduce those direct costs. e.g. if Craig can get the scans done. We then would need to get a best price tooling, then proto to final item. I was totally put off by the pro route to thigh bolster moulding , but I got there in the end. :unsure: The trouble is it's a "can do without" item and doesn't detract from the look of a Gti if not fitted.

regards

Dave

dch1950

I have received a quote for 100 sets of rubber mud flaps in the style shown in the photos at the top of this thread. The guy I'm dealing with is being very helpful and I think his prices are good. I still don't have sources for the GTi badge or the fixings which will add to the cost as well.

Tooling for the mud flaps is £3500, with a per set manufacturing cost of £11.50. MOQ = 100, so Base cost without badge/fixings would be £46.50p per set. I can see the fixings and badge adding another £20-25 per set quite easily so we'd be looking at a base price of about £95 a pair. Not too bad I suppose, but as an individual it's more cash up front than I would want to risk on my own.

Strangely enough the 3D Cad element of the tooling total wasn't that that high i.e. around £100 so no cost advantage accrues there.

Interesting exercise though and if anyone wants to pick this up and go with it, then don't hesitate to mail me direct at dave@205gticovers.com

regards

Dave

scottbarton

Good stuff Dave, interesting to see the way the price is broken down.

Makes the ones that go on eBay for ~ £100 to £150 not a bad deal after all!

dch1950

The crunch was devolving the tooling costs - clearly 100 sets isn't enough.

Dave

scottbarton

I dont think we would get 100 people interested in what strictly is an accessory. You never know though......