• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

309 1.9 Not Running/running Very Badly After Being Stood For Years

M_R_205

So, as the title says, iv bought a 309 which has been stood for about 10 years, and it was a non runner when i bought it..

The reason for it not starting was the fuel pump had jammed, it was full of treacle type scum, new pump and it fired up but very rough, took it for its maiden voyage last week and it had zero power, as soon as you squeezed the throttle slightly, while under load it bogged down and tried to stall, (it revs up ok though...)

Any way, today...

Changed the leads, plugs, dizzy cap and arm, and it fired up ok, much smoother but still not 100%, So, changed the fuel filter and poured about 1/3 bottle of redex into the tank (about half full with 1/2 old and 1/2 fresh fuel) and now it won't start, well, it tries to, it needs a lot of persuasion and when it does it revs high (2500-3000) and then dies

So what does everyone think is going on?? i though the new filter and redex would solve the poor running not make it worse

My though so far are..

-too much redex?

-the redex has dislodged loads of gunk which has attacked the injectors??

-s*ite fuel (but ran ok before)

-air in the filter?

-problem with pressure regulator, stuck open? clogged?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Paul.

Anthony

Drain the tank and put some fresh fuel in first of all - 10 year old fuel is unlikely to be doing it any favours, so replacing that with fresh stuff has to be a first port of call before going any further.

Redex isn't going to help it run if the fuel in the tank is stale.

M_R_205

I had thought about the fuel being shout but it ran OK (ish) before the filter change and redex so half discounted it as a problem..

Iv just had a thought about doing a bodge injector test, by just sticking the injectors into 4 containers and turning the engine over for a few seconds and see if theres any big variations in the collected fluid..

ORB

It will almost certainly be dead fuel. Drain it (I cheat and use the pump for this by cracking off the high pressure hose and draining into a bucket)

The thing is, your fuel will have SOME octane in it, evidently enough to run, but nothing like the 95ron it needs!

Miles

309's I've had use a drain plug in the tank, not the brightest of idea's these days

M_R_205

Okay, il do that Tuesday, any thoughts on how best to flush out the tank, or do you think it's not worth it..?

M_R_205

Right then, Great news! It runs and idles fine again..

I drained out all the old fuel, (miles you were right, there is a drain plug!) Filled up with £45 quids worth of fresh fuel, and that made no difference at all!! no the problem was i had knocked an SAD pipe off when changing the plugs/leads, as well as the vac advance hose!

So any way it runs, but it still has the same bogging down issue as before, all be it not quite as bad, Plant your foot down in any gear and it tries to stall, under zero load (down a hill for instance) its OK and it revs ok.. So I'm thinking now maybe fuel pressure regulator?? or AFM or the throttle switch (that clicks fine win i just touch the throttle) or could it be another air leak problem?? whats my most likely cause??

Paul

309jazzpanda

Check your flap in the afm is moving freely

M_R_205

Cheers, il chek my flaps! It didn't occur to me that I cold be stuck after being sat!!

Any other suggestions? Problemis, the car is at my brothers house and its a 15 mile round trip! So want to do as much as possible each trip!! :-D

Cheers

Paul

sickomotorsport

Igniton amp as well I would check that