• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jameswallace.

Right Clutch For 205 Gti 6 Conversion?

welshpug

Q1 broken 2.0 pull clutch.

Q2 yes, missing.

Q4 cant tell wihout opening box up and checking at least the cwp ratio.

Q3 look at the location of revrse gear, or, look at the casting, it will have be1, 3 or even 4 on it (looks like late be1 or early be3, with "be3" push type fork)

dobboy

Thanks Welshpug, you're a fountain of knowledge!

Think i best use my own 88 BE1 Gbox which i know its fairly healthy.

So i'll (likely) need a MI16 218mm 18 spline "push type" clutch?

From the images above, am i right in thinking that these two have never been used together? i.e. the Gbox is "push" type, but the clutch on the engine is "pull"? (or have i got it all wrong?

dobboy

The data sheet for the £25 one on ebay

http://www.motaquip-ecat.co.uk/xc2_pdfs/File_350022002527.pdf

data sheet for a MI16, 2.0

http://www.motaquip-ecat.co.uk/XC2_pdfs/File_350022002528.pdf

same bearing used as the £25 one, but the other parts/weight/friction material differ.

So i need a Valeo VCK556 to suit my 1988 BE1 assuming my Gbox is a push type?

Miles

You need the 555 one, But with a BE1 clutch release bearing unless you have a Mi16 BE1 box which uses the BE3 bearing

dobboy

You need the 555 one, But with a BE1 clutch release bearing unless you have a Mi16 BE1 box which uses the BE3 bearing

Thanks Miles.

Is the bearing something that suffers wear etc and should be replaced as a matter of course?

or is it likely my current bearing could be re-used?

If it should be changed, where would i purchase the bearing on its own? (i've tried ECU and GSF but they only seem to do the full kits)

Anthony

Personally, I'd fit a new one unless you know that the existing one is nearly new.

They typically last quite well, but for the modest cost of a new one compared to the hassle of dropping the gearbox (and potential damage to the clutch) it is a no brainer to me if you're planning on keeping the car. Do the job once, do it properly and all that.

The clutch kit linked to includes a new BE3 push-type release bearing that will suit later 205 GTi, 1.9 Mi16 gearboxes etc.

Miles

You don;t have a bearing from the pic's, The arm in the pic is for a pull clutch where you have to bodge the clutch cable for it to work

dobboy

Thanks all for responding.

(but still i'm still a bit confused)

Ignore my spare Gbox in the pic, as i will use my existing BE1 205 box.

Is this right?

1. 205GTI with 205 BE1 gearbox can use, http://www.motaquip-...50022002527.pdf (VCK555), with an additional BE1 release bearing.

2. 205GTI with 205 BE3 Gbox can use the same, except the bearing can be used from the (VCK555)kit.

3. 205GTI with MI-16 BE1 Gbox can use the same, except the bearing can be used from the (VCK555)kit.

4. 205GTI with BE1 Gbox, using a MI-16 clutch, still requires a BE1 release bearing.

5. 205GTI with BE3 Gbox, using a MI-16 clutch kit, can use the all the bits in the kit.

6. Of the BE1 release bearings, is there two types? a push type and a pull type? or is it two different clutch types (i.e. push and pull) and you buy the relevant bearing (if necessary) to suit the type of clutch you choose and Gbox type you have?

Is VCK555 a push type clutch and VCK556 a pull type?

For gawds sake someone shoot me!

Edited by dobboy

welshpug

pull type clutches are BE3 and 4 only, they have specific pressure plates with fixed bearings and specific clutch forks and arms, none of these components are compatible with a PUSH clutch.

Edited by welshpug

dobboy

My box was put on to my 16V at the weekend. My box is a 1.9 BE1 (Ph1.5)

I had bought and fitted ECP Valeo Pt No. 641545060 (which came with a bearing)to the 16V

and also bought an additional ECP Pt No. 644545060 (not sure why)

Both new bearings were similar to each other, although the wings were different to the original, and none of them fitted correctly, the little wings didn't seem to click or get held right, and would have meant the bearing would have been sliding about.

So the original bearing had to be used.

Anthony

They're both BE3 bearings by the looks of things - that's why they wouldn't fit your BE1 gearbox correctly.

dobboy

Thanks Anthony. The LUK's one should have been a BE1 for an 88 car, and i didn't know what i was looking at until i seen the difference when my box was removed from the 1.9.

Thanks for clarifying.

welshpug

Mi16 be1 is the same as be3, you need to make sure its a 205 be1 you get, or fit the be3 push type arm if possible.

dobboy

Cheers WP, its done now with original bearing on.... and i ain't taking it back off, hopefully not for a while anyway. The additional bearing i ordered should have suited a 205 BE1.

Anthony

If that's the case then it's ECP incorrectly listing things again as it's definately a BE3 bearing that's pictured.

Mattr5uk

I've just spoken to Ecp as well looks like a later be3 bearing they keep. Does anyone have a part no or know a motor factors that keep them on the shelf?

Mattr5uk

I've managed to get a Sachs one on order for tomorrow part no 3151841001 (£22 inc) is anyone able to confirm if this looks right as I haven't removed mine yet?

welshpug

who's part number is that?

2041 29 is the "CLUTCH ON BALL JOINT CONTROL UNTIL DATE 1989 07 01" aka BE1.

2041 67 is "- CLUTCH ON AXLE CONTROL SINCE DATE 19890701" aka BE3.

TU in a 205 also uses 2041 67, which is 20.5mm tall.

TU5 used an 18.5mm tall bearing, 2041 50, after October 2, 1997 all TU's used this one.

Mattr5uk

That's from total motor factors hopefully that's for the be1 they have told me it's up to 89 but you know what some part suppliers are like!

Mattr5uk

This is the bearing and part no on the box for it if anyone else is interested

post-23613-0-72078000-1393079970_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mattr5uk

dobboy

Can anyone tell me if an Xsara BE4 can be used in conjuntion with BE1 Gbox bits and bobs (and 205 BE3 gear stick) to run a push clutch?

Edited by dobboy