• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATK

Replacing Rear Side Window Seals - How To?

ATK

Done a search but no luck. Bought a couple of rear window seals from ebay, new ones as my rear window is slightly leaky on the passenger side, so figured I;d do both.

Are they easy to fit? Any guides?

Cheers!

Alex

welshpug

Remove glass (3 screws) swap seals, refit glass.

• Like 1

ATK

As easy as that, eh? No glue needed etc? If so, great!

Anthony

Nope, although you'll find most seals have shrunk and as such the replacements may be no better than what you already have.

ATK

You're right Anthony, I put a new old stock seal on the window and it was AWFUL. Shrunk loads and water gushing in.

Ended up putting the old seal back on after stretching out and used a bit of sealant - all sorted now.

mowflow

For a minute their I was quite excited. I thought you'd found a supply of new seals.

ATK

They were brand new, but new old stock :)

Due to the age they had shrunk, and I dare say all of them have by now so avoid at all costs!

simon5

Hi guys new to the forum, I am just getting back into 205's but my background is from the classic 2 stroke range of bikes, has anyone made any headway into getting these seals remade . from my own perpective yes my rear windows leak and I know that the only seals out there are second hand ones

Simon

nveeate

Not an ideal fix, but good in the interim......I cut mine and then spliced in a new section from a secondhand seal I picked up at a scrapyard (needed approx 1.5 inches to be added in to compensate for seal shrinkage). I also put a very thin bead of silicone along inside the seal, where it fits over the metal lip of the window opening - obviosuly not too much or it would squish out and be visible/make a nasty mess!

With that and a replacement sunroof seal I now have a completely dry interior, despite all the recent rain!

Edited by nveeate

Ryan

You can probably buy something suitable from Woolies Trim. They sell various seals with different cross sections, just find something similar, cut it to length, and super glue the ends together.

jackherer

Does anyone have an old seal they can cut then send a photo of the cross section to me please?

simon5

Guys I take it the issue is that the seals have shrunk through age and not a drain problem from elsewhere or am I reading this wrong and has anyone tried speaking to an auto windscreen company to see if they can help. If I am teaching Grandma to suck eggs then I apologise but surely if there is enough call for the part I am sure some could be made

Simon

jackherer

I'm in discussion with a couple of companies about reproductions, at the moment I need someone to cut an old seal and photo the cross section as I said above, someone must have an old seal they can spare?

johnhenry

I think I have a couple in the garage at home, ill check tomorrow evening when I get back!

• Like 1

farmer

Jack I have got Daviewonder some new seals am sure he would allow me to send to you and copy exact ?

post-20427-0-81814700-1392920892_thumb.jpg

post-20427-0-53217100-1392920925_thumb.jpg

Edited by farmer

jackherer

Sounds good, let me know. I'm happy to pay postage both ways.

I still need someone to cut up an old seal for the cross section though.

farmer

Ok I will drop you a PM and make sure he is happy with that arrangement, will drop him a quick message on Facebook asking for the thumbs up.

I think we all would like new ones of these made.

I got the last pair from Ibiza and Germany.

I will post it down via My Hermes as it will only be £4.20, will leave the return postage in your hands..

jackherer

I'm still looking for someone that has an old seal they don't mind slicing and photographing the cross section, someone must have one they haven't thrown out?