• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrfirepro

No1 Bearing Oil Seals

mrfirepro

Been trying for 90 mins to get these seals in, I'm trying the drinks can trick (only cans I have is Stella) I'm now on my third can, can someone help before I get too wasted.

S@m

What i can tell you is that when i did mine i had the bonafide, vintage, genuine dealer tool for the job.................and it made it harder. The strips of coke can genuinely are the easiest way. What exactly is going wrong for you?

mrfirepro

Thanks Sam,

1. cut two lengths of (Stella can) thin steel

2. Liberally oil all surfaces

3. Hold metal strips between bearing/seal and mating face (difficult as it's all oily)

4. Slide whole assy (no1 bearing cap, seal and metal strip). into place (downwards)

It all goes wrong at no4, when I slide the no1 bearing cap (downwards) into place, the thin strips stay put and don't slide down the mating face.

Edited by mrfirepro

mrfirepro

Just wondering if the Stella can is a bit thick?

S@m

Does the little "hockey stick" head part not keep them in place whilst you slide the bearing cap down into the block?

I'd recommend a small amount of sealer in the corners aswell.

Edited by Sam306

mrfirepro

Will do the sealer - thanks

When I push/tap the bearing cap down the thin metal strip stays put at the top of the opening. If I continue to move the bearing cap down the seal also stays put and just the cap moves down.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, have gone over to a neighbor to get a coke can and will give that a try, will let you know how I get on

S@m

The heads of the "hockey sticks" locate the seal into the underside of the bearing cap though, how are they coming adrift?

welshpug

Theyre rubber, so they deform and slide, or rather dont slide!

Xu10's iirc have small dowels that the xu5/9's dont, so it can be a bloody faff.

Anthony

I find that it's easiest putting the bearing cap in at a 45 degree angle and then straightening it as opposed to trying to put it straight in.

mrfirepro

Finally done, thanks for all the advice, putting it in at 45 degrees made it a little easier and using a coke can as it was a little thinner.

timoth123

At 0416?? That's dedication mate!

mrfirepro

At 0416?? That's dedication mate!

you know what it's like when you have a project on, sort of takes over :D

mrfirepro

Just to close this out and if anyone can learn by my mistakes.

Due to a problem with the block I had to take the crank back out, which was fortunate as the sealant I used had not adhered to the surface.

I have today reassembled the new block and found it really east to install the OEM seals.

Here is what I did....

1. Cleaned all surfaces until they were spotless

2.Put a bead of Loctite 5910 (the black stuff) in the corners and across the face. (I originally used some stuff from Halfords)

3. Cleaned a dried the surface of the cap and the seal reccess

4. Smeared Vaseline on the vertical mating surfaces of the block

5. Installed the dry unlubricated seals into the cap reccess

6. Smeared Vaseline on the cap face and including the outer surface of the seal

7. Inserted the cap at 45 degrees until the seal was against the surface of the block.

8. Moved the cap to vertical and slid in down into position. hey presto 5 mins instead of 5 hours.

The most important thing I have learned is to use OEM seals, they were much softer and more forgiving than the set that came with my gasket kit.