• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrfirepro

Cylinder Head Thread Stripped

mrfirepro

Got around to fitting the head today only to find that one of the threads has been stripped. As part of the rebuild I had run a tap down the threads and didn't notice anything different from the other threads.

Got to about 120 degrees of stage three tightening and then it let loose.

What are my options..

1. use a thread repair kit Helicoil I think there called?

2. get a bigger head bolt say M12 and drill & retap the thread

3. get another block (already on my third)

Harni

Helicoil if i was you. Most engine shops/engineering shops will do it properly for you for a couple of quid unless your handy with a drill and tap your self.

Tom Fenton

Helicoil it, I've got the kit and have done a few with 100% success. No doubt the naysayers will be along shortly to say how crap helicoils are, but the simple fact is that a helicoiled thread into alloy is stronger than the original, FACT.

mrfirepro

Brilliant Tom/Niall, I cant tell you how happy that makes me.

Was thinking of this kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M11-x-1-5-V-Coil-Fits-Helicoil-Wire-Thread-Insert-Repair-Kit-/111207003823?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19e47436af

On another point this was only the third bolt that was torqued up, will I need to replace the head gasket now

Edited by mrfirepro

Miles

Had loads of helicoil's strip (From different people too), No idea why so I always use Timeserts and never had any issues at all, and again stronger than the originals

Tom Fenton

You want the kit with double length inserts.

mrfirepro

Tom,

are they the ones know as 3D? (I take it that's 3 times diameter??)

Tom Fenton

Depends on the supplier, could be 3x depth or 3x dia. Best to measure depth you need then make a phone call and order the most suitable kit.

Ramigojag

This happened to me but it turned out the headbolt I was using that we're supplied by a motor factor were fractionally too short. So just double check

mrfirepro

Hi Callum,

Thanks for that, checked the bolts and tried another one in the same bolt hole, same result.

petert

I've never had any problems with the long helicoils.

large

I use helicoils in work all the time, now and again they do go. But the bolts are in and out a couple of times a month and are torqued down to 1300 N/M.

So for your application as said would be fine.

Telf

hi all-ive got his issue with a 1.6 block- an engineering place says they will fix it in situ for £50-does this sound about the right price for a repair?

thanks

mrfirepro

Telf,

The repair was really easy took about 5 mins and all in the kit was £38 including the long inserts.

I dont know if you ever get around this way, but if you do I'm happy to do it for you.

Got the kit and 3D inserts from South Essex Fasteners, Speak to Tony on 01702 615326

Edited by mrfirepro