• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Robbiedundy

Gti6 Ecu Unlocking?

Robbiedundy

Hey, so I've bought a 306 rallye as a donor car and have started taking it apart, I've read a few threads about it, nothing really confirms if it actually works, they say turn the ignition on, unplug the ecu and it will stay unlocked? Then on other threads it says it's different for different phases of 306s etc, can anyone confirm if this will work for me? I've got a T reg 306 rallye. The key is broken, which is what locks the ecu when you turn the ignition off right? Would this affect what I'm trying to do?

Any help would be great,

Cheers!

Anthony

I assume that the engine runs/ran?

If so, all you need to do is to switch the ignition on (key to position two) and to unplug the ECU with the ignition still on.

The ECU will then be left in a soft unlocked state which will allow it to run when used in a 205 without any of the 306 immobiliser system present.

Robbiedundy

Yeah it runs. Okay, perfect.

Cheers! :D

rikky

mine's unlocked the same way, but I have heard off people of them randomly locking when unlocked this way. I can't understand why especially in a 205 where you're not using any of the 306's locking / immobilisation components :wacko:

Anthony

I suspect that at least 95% of the converted cars on here have had the ECU's soft unlocked this way and, whilst I've heard rumours of an isolated case or two of an ECU re-locking randomly, I've not seen any posts on here about it actually happening in a 205.

The immobiliser function can be removed completely from the ECU by various companies if you're particularly concerned, but like Rikky, my own car and various friends were all unlocked by the method described above and I've had no issues at all.

Stu

I recently had mine unlocked by Rich (by a replacement EPROM) but only because the car the ECU came from had been crushed long before i got the ECU.

As Ant says, i bet at least 90-95% of people are running unlocked ECU's in this way, i unlocked a 406 ECU like this when i was running one as a daily driver mainly because the keypad was a pain in the arse every time i wanted to fire it up :P

hattjosh

Just a point to note, ( I fell foul of this) once you've uplugged it whilst the ignition is on, don't plug it back into the 306 with the immobilzer transponder gubbins still connected, otherwise it will re-lock to that car. I did this and then broke the car for parts and when I came to do the first start I found I had a locked ECU. :angry:

Robbiedundy

Okay, cheers for all the help :)