• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Sill Rust - Replacement Or Fix?

davemar

My car failed its MOT today and one of the things was corrosion around the rear right jacking point. After a bit of poking and a quick go with the wire wheel on the grinder it turns out the rear few inches of the sill was complete rust. I've cut out the offending rusted part, which is a good 15cm of the sill from the back, and some of the structure behind it including the thicker bit for the jacking point.

I've now got to decide what to do next. Could I fabricate some metal to replace the parts I've cut out, or do I replace the whole sill? While I have got a welder, I'm very out of practice and don't want to do more than necessary. How easy is it to remove the whole sill cleanly so a new one can be refitted?

Do mobile bodywork welders exist, who can come out and do such jobs?

post-3420-0-35461600-1397690121_thumb.jpg

Edited by davemar

Miles

Just replace whats needed, Allot of problems come from welded up car's in the gap in the middle or behind a panel as you cannot get to the back of it to protect it so rust will come back in no time at all

Mobile welder's, Not many around these days as it's expensive to run, Next door to me is and he has a 7.5 ton truck to haul his stuff around

davemar

The proximity to the petrol tank does concern me for doing the welding too!

dobboy

is there a weep hole supposed to be in that area?

It might be worthwhile you taking the rear card out and having a look inside the bottom of the back wing.

harryskid

The proximity to the petrol tank does concern me for doing the welding too!

Take it out and check for rot there too!

m@ttc

How easy is it to remove the whole sill cleanly so a new one can be refitted?

a nightmare! many, many, spot welds, then the inner sills will have rot too more than likely. as said just repair whats needed.

Daviewonder

How does the bottom of the quarter panel fix onto the car? Anyone have a cross section view?

I have a feeling I'm gonna be in this situation within the next couple of years.

m@ttc

spot welds, the last place to remove it from the car, the rear quarter bends down to allow access to them.

davemar

is there a weep hole supposed to be in that area?

It might be worthwhile you taking the rear card out and having a look inside the bottom of the back wing.

I've had a look behind the interior trim and the metal looks pretty clear in there.

I'm trying to work out whether the jacking point is just a thicker piece of metal sandwiched between the inner and outer sill or there's something more to it. It was so corroded it is difficult to tell how it was originally put together.

m@ttc

yes the jacking point is a thicker piece of metal sandwiched between the two inner and outer panels

im pretty sure these a water drain suposed to be near the b pillar, but is often covered with seam sealant by lazy factory fitting.

Edited by m@ttc

john-melbourne

Did you ever get round to fixing this?