• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick205

Blooming Marvellous, The Magic Is Coming Back

nick205

After buying myself a tatty, but straight and original GTI earlier in the year I've slowly been reviving it. All of the suspension was original and very worn, lots of play in ball joints and bushes etc. It drove like a donkey and was on the verge of scary at any more than town speeds.

After replacing the entire front suspension it was much better, but this revealed what I thought was worn inner track rod joints. Although they were worn, the real culprit was a knackered plastic bush in the steering rack. Thanks to help on the forum I figured out to remove the rack and refurbish it and tonight got it back together and on its wheels.

Bloody wow! The car is an absolute joy to drive!!! Tight, responsive and smooth, so many memories coming back of how my old GTIs drove back in the 90s. Just been out for an hour, blasting about in the rain and trying some favourite corners and roundabouts....#happyboy

Need to get the tracking done, then I can fit the refurb end alloys and new tyres I have waiting in the garage.

Next up will be a refurbished rear beam and then onto the brakes before a little engine work.

Love it!

allye

Top work. Sorting the rear end makes a big difference too.