• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
camgti

Coilover Questions.

allanallen

Are the springs going coil bound then? Have you measured your droop and bump travel yet with the spring off?

These are (as far as I'm aware) short spindle Tarmac inserts if it's any help.

photo_zps7f2ba2d3.jpg

welshpug

How hard are you driving it?!

Henry 1.9GTi

The picture of the spring with car weight on it looks like they will go coil bound. Perhaps put white paint on the top surface of all the coils, see if its on the bottom surface after a drive trying to avoid big bumps.

The eibachs use quite a thin wire diameter and are nice and light so maybe worth investing in some eibachs with a lower rate to suit your car? The ERS catlouge also has all the info on lengths and loads so you can do a quick mental calc to see how much travel you have before coilbound.

Just to add as well, on big compressions my tyre hits the flange in the centre of the wheel arch before any damper/spring bottoms out. I would suspect your coilovers would be the same? Suggest assembling without spring and checking your travel. Hold car on a jack at ride height then use another to jack the wheel up and down - disconnect the ARB at one end.

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

camgti

Will measure droop and gravel asap and report back.

Wp, not actually that hard as im too scared that he bottoming out will break something else.

For Eg. Ill take a 90 degree left at about 30 mph mild throttle to balance the car it i can hear it just tapping almost bottoming out. Very slight bumps in the road, nothing major.

Will measure everything and report back. Can I take the insert out of the body myself of need special tools? Im guessing the nut on the underside?

Thanks again as usual boys.

Cam

allanallen

Yeah you just undo the nut at the bottom and the insert will pull out.

welshpug

Youll need to unwind the insert from the leg if its like my bilsteins.

camgti

Ok great. Hoping to get to it tomorrow.

Thanks for the info and heads up.

Anyone recognise the number on the insert? Ive tried searching for them various times.

Cam

camgti

3302v36 0545ho