• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joelpsmith

Engine Light On, Running Rough And Very Rich.

joelpsmith

My car's running very rich, you can virtually see the fuel gauge dropping as you drive. It's also running pretty rough and very lumpy at idle, hesitant at low speed and the engine light come on intermittently. At higher speeds, cruising at 70mph is generally ok and the engine light goes off but all the problems come back again at 30mph and below.

The engine is a 1.9 xu9jaz (cat) model, i'm suspecting its the lambda sensor. Its there any way of testing this, and any other things to be looking at? Thanks!

scbond

I wouldn't trust the fuel gauge at all most of the time...mine goes up and down randomly unless I have at least around a third of a tank.

As for the issue, I'd say the lamdba is pretty suspect as you've thought. Possibly the AFM but I'd check the lambda first. Not sure how to check it other than to try a known good one though, sorry.

dobboy

I'd do a search and see what the symptoms are of a dodgy coolant sensor.

The lambda (if similar to 16v) can be checked with a multimeter if you know what readings to be looking for.

joelpsmith

Thanks, I think I've got this sorted now. I got under the car and the lambda sensor had broken apart so it was pretty obvious it needed replacing. I did that and there was a bit of improvement but still really struggling to idle. Then I noticed a crack in the pipe that connects the throttle body to the afm obviously causing quite a bad air leak. I have gaffer taped this up for now and it seems to have had a big improvement and idling properly. I just need to get a replacement pipe. It's part of a K&N induction kit circled in this image. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

post-3576-0-74137500-1406488568_thumb.jpg

joelpsmith

Thanks, i've PM'd you.