• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daz.e.t.a

Fan Speed And Over Heating

daz.e.t.a

hi

the latest problem with my 205gti is its over heating when sat in traffic!

now the fan cuts in but seems a little slow does it have two speeds? the temp goes right but as it does the revs do too, and they stay right 2-3000 until its cooled down again?

not much fun on a hot day trying to get home from work!

anyone got any ideas

thanks

Darren

welshpug

does the over heat light actually come on? or is it just sitting what appears to be quite high on the gauge?

the standard single fan does have two speeds indeed.

idling revs is totally separate to the cooling system, you have a separate issue there.

daz.e.t.a

never had light on but its been almost to the end of the gauge. only starts rev above 2/3. only does it when its been driven and the stuck in traffic. if started from cold will idle fine and fan will keep it cool! what would stop fan working on high speed?

Anthony

Assuming that you've got the standard non-AC GTi setup with a single fan, if the slow speed fan works, it can only be the thermoswitch or a damaged wire in the fan loom that would stop it working on high speed.

That said, are you sure it's got hot enough for the fast speed to kick in? I can't remember the exact temperature now, but I'm pretty sure that with the standard GTi thermoswitch the fast speed doesn't come on until over 100 degrees which is past 3/4 odd on the guage.

I never liked it getting that hot and changed mine accordingly with a lower rated thermoswitch and modified wiring so that fast speed comes on at 92 degrees on mine (a little past halfway on the gauge)

daz.e.t.a

thanks ill check it out tomorrow once I've finished replacing the cracked manifold and the knacker steering rack

scbond

So when the car is warm and you stop and idle, the revs are 2 to 3,000 rpm and as a result it starts to overheat? I'd say that's your issue, not the fan. The engine should be idling at 950 to 1,000 rpm.