• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pie

Fully Advanced Distributor, 1.6 205

Pie

Hi there,

Looking for a bit of advice!

After trauling the forums and checking everything possible and changing anything questionable, the only thing left to get the engine running correctly, in my opinion, is the problem that it will only run with the distributor fully advanced (the timing is wrong somewhere, surely). And at that, it isn't running nicely, and has to tickover at a good 2000 revs to keep it going, however, it does start on the button with no rev fluctuations.

It is a J Reg 1.6 205 CTi. Dizzy number 086

I had a mechanic round and we changed the timing belt (as I didn't trust myself) and yes, the timing was out by about 4 or 5 teeth on the crank. After doing this the car ran a bit better and started a lot easier, but still only on full advance.

Next thought was the dizzy, it didn't have a vac advance and was looking a bit sad, so I've had that refurb'd and an advance put on it, however the problem is still there. (H&H)

Other than the dizzy and timing belt, I don't know what else could cause the timing to be out? Only thing I can think is to move the cam away from the stock settings at the belt, but that doesn't seem right to me. No matter how old it is..

Any thoughts?

If anyone is kind enough and willing like to have a look, I'm in Sheffield and have plenty of time as it is a garaged project not a day to day runner.

I look forward to your replies!

Slo

Did you check if the woodruff key was in the cam pulley? Possibly missing allowing it to move. Sure you got the ht leads on the right posts and not 90 degrees out?

Pie

is the woodruff the little metal wedge? that is definitely in there. tried the ht leads in various different orders and wouldn't start in any other way. They are in the order they were before the the dizzy was taken off so should be correct! I'm away at the moment, but I'll try moving them forward/back a post when I get back on Wednesday, just in case.

Thanks for the reply.

welshpug

got it bolted on the right way up?

Pie

It's on with the ht leads/posts pointing towards the floor, it looks right to me, I'm not sure the bonnet would close if I turned it the other way up.

Thanks for the reply.

welshpug

I mean the body of the distributor not the cap

allanallen

Cambelt out by 4 or 5 teeth!Did it even turnover? Have you done a compression test?

Pie

But the cap only fits one way onto the body doesn't it? The vacuum advance is on the underside of the body of the distributor, if this is correct.

---

Yeah it was bad! The mechanic said if it was one more, the engine would have been kaput. It used to be that it would turnover for ages, then eventually start, and run awfully/cut out.

Did a compression test, can't remember the figures, but remember being told that they were all spot on and even throughout.

---

Appreciate the responses.

dcc

photo of engine bay please

• Like 1

Pie

vHyV02t.jpg​

F97HreP.jpg​

Pie

Photos above of engine bay and distributor. Looking for a picture of anything in particular? (the air filter is off to make everything more visible)

Tried moving the ht leads +1/-1 anti clockwise around the cap, wouldn't even attempt to start in either.

Appreciate the responses.

Tom Fenton

Have you driven this under load up the road at all? It may be that you can make it idle lovely under no load on the drive with the timing there, but it will pink its arse off when you drive it under load.

Pie

I haven't driven it, no. It isn't idling nicely, it just starts easily and isn't erratic. If the dizzy is moved anywhere from fully advanced it won't start at all.

If the revs drop below about 2k it cuts out.

Kick the throttle, it might go up 500 revs, if that, or stall.

Does the ECU have anything to do with timing on these? Is 086 the correct distributor for a J reg 1.6?

Really appreciate the responses.

Pie

Small addition that might help someone, the nuts that hold the distributor on are M7 nuts.

Just bought some, bit of a pain to find!

welshpug

Ignition is purely mechanical on these other than the actual generation of the spark, you could pull the ecu out and bolt some carbs on with the same arrangement if you wanted to go backwards :D

have you checked for air leaks upstream of the afm?

Pie

Ahaha, I thought so. I'm good thanks :P

All connected up, brand new shiny jubilee clips around every connection, no splits or tears. Vacuum advance pipe hooked up, oil filler bolts in, put a new gasket on the inlet manifold.

As far as I know it is air tight!

Thanks for the response!

welshpug

have the throttle initial settings and TPS setting and function been checked?

steve@cornwall

Check the new inlet gasket is correct...with cut outs for injectors ?