• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Tempremental Heater Blower Fixed

TaffyTim

I've managed to fix my blower today which is great as the misty morning windows aren't far away. It was suffering the usual symptoms of the fan blowing sporadically and generally being a pain, never blowing when you really needed it.

I thought i was going to have to go down the route of taking the fan out and refurbishing it but just by repairing the blower heater resister module I have a fan that now could blow my socks off.

I used tips from all over this site but mainly Miles and John_B's comments on this thread sorted me out (Thanks guys):
http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=147053

My main tip to anyone is to forget about just trying to clean the disc in the centre of the card. I first tried this and went from having a fan that was was temperamental to a fan that was dead. I fully cleaned the disc and the contact points and the spring contact had a good grip of the disc. This wasnt good enough and even when plugged in and pressing down with all my might the fan only wheezed into action. I even tried soldering the disc and i still had the same pathetic response.

When i woke up this morning i thought i was going to buy a new module but i couldn't find what they are called in GSF or Euro car parts (or they don't have any left) so I searched the posts on the site for a part number. If anyone needs this then apparently its 6445.90, beware there are 4 pin types and 5 pin types, check which is in your car before ordering.

Being a tight Welshman I thought i would have 1 last bash at fixing the board by soldering an earth wire onto the board like in John_B post. I didnt hold out much hope as im the worst solderer in the world but I'll give anything a bash once.

It only went and worked:

IMAG2917.jpg

I chucked enough solder at the top of it and it surprisingly to me it took a hold, I then screwed a wire to the heat sink part (this is earthed) and it worked. Something to consider when doing this is that the slot where the card sits inside the car is a slim fit, so you cant have your wire going around the card and the screw you use can not protrude past the cooling fins or it wont go back in, I had to grind my screw down.

The fan now is epic, it still squeaks a little so if I refurbished that as well then i may get an even better result but i really am amazed how powerful the fan is just with this with this improved earth connection so i doubt I'll bother just yet

Do this now before the weather turns, dont suffer another winter running late for work because you cant drive due to zero visibility which takes 10 mins to clear.