• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Cambelt Only Done 24K Since Change But 5 Years

davey205

As title car has been sorn for last 2 years, cambelt was replaced at 72k now on 96k, probably advisable to get it done right?

lagonda

Unlikely to have been much, if any, deterioration in that time. Replaced the one I fitted in 2007 last year, and there were no cracks, indeed it looked as if it would have been fit for a lot more service, despite 75,000 odd miles use.

Assume sensible storage....if very damp, or warm, (unlikely one would imagine), then I'd be cautious, otherwise you can easily remove cambelt cover and check for perishing/cracks etc.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

The one on my laser had only done 3000 miles but was 7 years old. I changed it. Belt £15. Head rebuild 8 new valves and guides gasket set etc £250-odd....

• Like 1

jackherer

I've just replaced a belt on an engine that has never been installed in a car or run at all, it had just been turned over by hand but after at least 6 or 7 years I wasn't prepared to risk it.

lagonda

That's the problem....the part is inexpensive, but the damage resulting from it breaking is potentially catastrophic. It's a no brainer therefore to replace it....but it's not the easiest job to do yourself.....that's the rub!

Daviewonder

They have a 5 year shelf life. I would replace it.

Miles

But how do you know how old the box'd ones are....

jackherer

I have thought of that before, you'd think they would put a manufacture date on them like they do with crappy american beer these days.

Daviewonder

But how do you know how old the box'd ones are....

Stock movement report or something similar I would imagine?

welshpug

Boxes are usually dated

jackherer

I've got some Dayco belts and kits here and they don't have dates and I don't remember ever seeing any.

Miles

Never seen any dates, 8v belts I would say are prime for old stock as these days I cannot see them selling in huge numbers

acox99

As long as they are kept in the box and in a dry warm enviroment like a store room they aren't going to degrade. It's the use, heat cycles and uv that harm them. Eventually they will be of no use but 10 years or more on a shelf I imagine would be the max. A visual inspection and what they feel like is the best way to determine if you want to use it or not.

jackherer

I'm not sure I agree, would you use tyres that had been in a controlled environment for ten years? AFAIK it is oxygen/ozone that ages rubber.

Tom Fenton

I thought it was UV. Certainly for tyres the advice I've always been given is to store somewhere dry and dark.

acox99

As Tom says store them in the dry and dark and you would be surprised how long they store for without going hard.

jackherer

I thought it was UV.

UV converts atmospheric oxygen into ozone which is what ages it, not the UV directly.

acox99

Iv learnt something today. Didn't realise that.

lagonda

Ran my V12 on a pre-war....yes 1939 ....tyre for some time back in the early 1980s. It was pretty hard, but I would have done up to 95mph with it...no probs. There's also a guy with a 1926 car that is still running on the tyres fitted when it was new! I believe he rarely uses the car (it would be a crime to, obviously incredibly low mileage) and doubt he goes at any great speed though. Perhaps pre war rubber was better quality. Recently bought a new old stock fan belt for the V12 that can't date from any later the 1950s, and it is still supple and will be used.