• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Raccoon

Crunching In 2Nd

Raccoon

Recently when changing from 1st to 2nd I get a crunch, but this doesn't happen from 3rd to 2nd etc. This doesn't happen every single time, if I change into 2nd very gently and slowly I can usually avoid it.

Anyway I'm just curious as to what may have caused this, and what my options are to resolving the issue.

Cheers.

selfyyy

Sounds like a synchro issue, may just be worn? Could try changing the gearbox oil to see if that helps.. :)

Raccoon

Thanks, any idea of how much the repair would be if changing the oil doesn't help?

mikeyd

if its got the right oil then it depends if you can rebuild it yourself [diesel boxes are a good donor for the sychros as they dont get thrashed/abused as much ]

does it do it if you adjust the clutch up slightly?and is it better/worse when the box is cold [oil issues/grade ]

Miles

Depends on who does it, New hub's are around £185.00 each, Bearings, Seal's, Cleaning and it's not cheap,

I do however have good used hub's at £40.00 each but with bearings etc your still looking at a good £200.00

Raccoon

We've adjusted the clutch up and it hasn't made any difference, and it's the same regardless of whether the box is cold or not.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna have to mull this one over, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth investing any more money into it, it's been nothing but a burden as of late.

lando9000

I wouldn't be 100% but it could be a thing to look at the gearbox/engine mount. I was advised with our that the engine was moving so much that it was throwing the clutch cable out and jerking it when it moved. We haven't got our back together yet so I can't confirm but it's something else to look at..

Rams_gti6

With you saying it can be selected slowly,that would point to synchros. I had this similar issue. I went down all the easy avenues but it's more than likely the box needs either rebuilding or swapping.