• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Gear Rods Length Be3/5

JeffR

Since having my new gearbox built (BE3/5 in an S16 case) for the 405 race car, I've found getting 2nd gear difficult.

There seems to be less lateral movement from centre (3rd-4th) to the 1st-2nd plane than the 5th-Rev plane.

The Haynes 306 manual shows the rod lengths for the BE box with the 2 short ones 160 & 160.5mm +/- 1mm. The long rod is meant to measure 260.5mm +/-1mm.

I have Miles' adjustable locking rods, so was able to set the 2 short ones to the above lengths. The problem is the long one. Mine measures 247mm, an old broken factory one I've got is 250mm.

Can't see how this one would be 10mm shorter if I was to set it by the Haynes measurement. Maybe it's a typo and should read 250.5mm?

Anyone shed some light on what the proper length should be?

Thanks

S@m

I've just measured a brand new 306 long rod i have in stock, and between the ball centres it looks to be 260.5mm.

Servicebox also lists that as the length.

However, the long rod on 405's (which i don't have to hand) is listed on servicebox as being 246mm.

JeffR

Thanks S@m. ServiceBox was down yesterday when I went to check, so I resorted to the Haynes Book of Tall Tales!

The 2 short ones are listed with the same part no. so I'll adjust those to be equal.

Which of the short rods centralizes the gear lever in the neutral gate? Upper or lower?

Tom Fenton

All the rod length will change is where the gear knob sits in the car. The actual throw between the 1/2-3/4-5 gates is down to the selector forks and mechanism inside the box.

EDIT, scrub that, I am thinking of the 205 setup with only 2 lateral rods. The 405 has 3 doesn't it?

JeffR

3 in total. 2 equal length & the long one.

I'm thinking the lower one which connects to the remote bracket bolted to the diff housing might centralize the lever in the neutral gate. I'll try altering its length and see what happens.

JeffR

I managed to find an old short rod that I knew came from the 405. It measured 102mm, so I set both upper & lower to that distance & left the long one at 247mm.

Seems to be a lot better in that the neutral 3rd-4th position is now central to the 1-2 & 5-Rev gates either side. More like I remember it was before the box change.