• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrfirepro

Adrian Flux Insurance Grrrrrr

mrfirepro

Just thought I would share my experience with the forum.

Now my project is coming to an end, I thought it was about time I insured the car as it represents a considerable investment in both time and money, I did some research and decided that I needed a classic car policy with an agreed value.

First company I rang was Adrian Flux insurance, explained what I was looking for and explained the risks and that the car is not finished but should be so by around Xmas.

After talking through the options with the sales adviser he came up with a price that seemed very reasonable, but must most importantly it was an agreed value.

He was also clear that I needed to fill in a form and send photographs of the car in support of the agreed value, and pay an additional £15, so all good and all agreed.

Great service so far was very easy and a very reasonable price.

The same day I filled in the forms on line and downloaded the photographs (10/12 in all) and waited.

Then today I get an email from them saying that I had bought a standard policy (market value) and was I interested in an agreed value policy...you can imagine my response..not happy, so fired off an email asking them to confirm what I had bought as the policy document clearly state the value as agreed.

Not happy with this decided to call them, after holding for 21 minutes the phone was answered, so went through the story with the customer care person, who then tells me I have to fill in the forms and send photographs to get the agreed value..... you got it, they could not find a record of me sending in any documents.

Following a 5 minute discussion where I had to convince this customer care person I had already filled in the forms and sent in photos, she said she would go off and check, while I was put on hold.....what seemed like an age passed she came back to me.....

"Mr Darke" she said..."we have got the photographs, and they take a maximum of two days to be looked at by the agreed value team" "two days" I said, "so on the basis that I uploaded them two days ago you should have looked at them" "ahh" she replied, "please hold again"...another age holding on the phone.....

She them returns after talking with the agreed value team with "we can't agree a value for a car that is not complete" so I explain all the reasons why and again said I had told the adviser this before the policy was agreed.....

So they couldn't provide the cover I wanted, next step was to cancel the policy....which was fine providing I paid for the days on cover and a cancellation fee...well after I peeled myself off the ceiling I asked to speak with someone who could talk some sense, as they has mis-sold me the policy......please hold, while I get someone...She said

Another age later.........the same person came back saying that she would look into it for me and come back to me, I asked them to listen to my conversation with the original sales adviser, in which I was very clear that the car was not finished.

So my experience with Adrian Flux Insurance is...really good at the front end when selling you the policy, good prices, but terrible customer service, keep you waiting and fail to recognise when they are at fault.

I think this is going to run and run...... :angry:

welshpug

id go elsewhere tbh, happy with chris knott and sky myself, initial dealings with greenlight have been good though not improved on the ck price

chipstick

Have they told you what the cancellation charge is yet? Post a picture of your face when they do!

• Like 1

tonyb

Mmm glad to hear this as im ready to start getting qoutes for my nearly completed project. Thanks paul.

welshpug

28 day distance selling thing isnt there?

jackherer

I've dealt with most of the usual suspects over the years and nothing compares to Greenlight, you just PM Neil on here and things happen!

Goliath

I've dealt with most of the usual suspects over the years and nothing compares to Greenlight, you just PM Neil on here and things happen!

I asked Greenlight for a quote last year and they told me that although they would 'insure' my modified car, they wouldn't pay out on any modifications. So if it was stolen etc I would get market value for a bog standard 205 GTI.

Goliath

Well they lost my business last year because of it! I will give them a try again this year as it's nearly renewal time.

Andy_C

Try Hagerty - best chaps to look at things sensibly. Not sure of your age but I'm guessing over 25?

I'll PM you some contact details which might help - I do a fair amount of business with them :)

• Like 1

tonyb

In fairness to greenlight goliath at least they were upfront with you before you paid your moneys, could have been a nasty suprise that.

• Like 1

harryskid

Have they told you what the cancellation charge is yet? Post a picture of your face when they do!

Might be like this! :o followed by :(

mrfirepro

great comments Guy's...to be fair tried greenlight first and they were straight with me that this was not their bag.

Calmed down a bit now, but still feel I've been treated bad...and

Andy, I'm over 25 ...Just.... :D and thanks for the contact details.

My main fear is that any restoration, not just mine, sucks in more cash that the cars will be worth for the foreseeable..... so I just want to cover this risk, which I don't think is unreasonable.

Particularly when there have been a number of threads on here about attempted thefts.

Anyway...you guy's have cheered me up no end..... :lol:

AlexRS2782

You can always give Need 2 Insure a call as well - I'm currently with them for my 205, but also use them for my Focus RS. They also do a lot of policies for users on the RS Owners Club and insure a wide range of cars from classic, modified, etc. No doubt there are a few ongoing resto projects within those.

Just realised, that on reading this thread, my insurance expires by the middle of next week so I'd better get that sorted, so thankfully this thread served as a good reminder.

Simes

When I was reshelling my car HIC were well aware it was in bits and that it was silly adding something new each week to the policy. I think I agreed valued it when it was finished.

Andy_C

You should be able to cover on a parts & shell type basis. You can't factor in your time but providing you have invoices for everything then you can be out back in the same financial position you were in.

Edited by Andy_C

pa402

Sorry to hear about your experience of Flux, but I've just insured mine with them and found them to be excellent (even though I was wary of their poor reputation).

I've just re-shelled my 1.9 into a 1.6 shell and phoned around and only Flux were happy to insure the car as a 1.9 under a classic policy, even with a few little modifications. All the others were as modified policies on a 1.6 and were at least double the price.

I was told that even though I wanted an agreed value, and the policy would state that, it wouldn't be an agreed value until I sent photo's in and they had approved the value. Unlike you I took a bit of a risk and didn't insure the car until I needed to leave it on my drive for a few days whilst I did the engine/suspension swap. A couple of weeks later once the car was complete I sent in the photo's and although it did take them a week to respond I got an agreed value of £4k which I am more than happy with.

I work for an FCA regulated business for a different type of insurance so they should take your complaint seriously. You can request a recording of your original call but I recommend a politely written letter with the threat of reporting them to the FCA as they appear to have mis-sold your policy.

It all depends on the sales person you speak to on the phone and how desperate they are to make a sale and earn some commission unfortunately!!

Hheppy

Have to say my renewal with Flux was £90 dearer than the quote from Heritage, they matched it even though I have paid the renewal in full, they refunded the £90 promptly, I have had good experience with them tbh, sorry you have been led down the garden path here, sounds like sales adviser didn't know what they were talking about.

Distance selling regs must apply though surely, and if you have been mis sold then you should get full refund.

good luck.

Weser

I have a couple of agreed value insurances with flux and never had a problem. Both cars were complete though. They have always match competitor quotes. Yes you have to wait a while at busy times but they have a free phone number. They always give me what I feel is a fair price on my agreed values.

Sorry to hear you have been treated badly - hopefully it doesn't cost you anything! They shouldn't of said they can insure at an agreed value if they couldn't!

They were good to me even insuring my campervan on the chassis number whilst the uk registration was going though and gave me a discounted insurance when I said It was only going to be stored in the shed whilst it was having work done for a year.

sp_en_ny

I have to say I have mixed feelings about Flux, when I first modified the exhaust on my pug they were the only ones who would insure me for a reasonable amount, nearly 40 with 20 years no claims ! It was all straight forward with no issues, however when I renewed with them this year the renewal price was almost double, after I found a better quote elsewhere suddenly they too found a better quote price wise with more flexibility, Why not offer me that to begin with ! Anyway I was told guaranteed valuation was also included, then after paying I received paperwork asking me to take pics of the car and pay an additional sum of £15. That was not how it was explained on the phone. A family relative also got a quote from them on a standard car and paid in full about a month before policy was due to start. Upon payment they then received the paperwork requesting the named drivers......(myself) to have to send in my original driving license. I have never known anyone request that before. The family member cancelled but was forced to pay a cancellation charge even though the policy had not started and not declaring at the time of the sale copious amounts of supplementary paperwork had to be submitted. Because of this I will be looking elsewhere next year. Very good at getting your money but hide the full extent of what is required and then charge you.

mrfirepro

Well guy's..... I have to say well done Adrian Flux........... I was rung today by a rather charming lady who was very apologetic, as she has now listened to the original call and agreed that I had been clear that the car was not finished and said the sales person should have told me that I could not have an agreed value policy until it was complete.

They have agreed to refund me 100% of my premium.

So it's been quite hard work but at least they have done the honorable thing in the end...... :)

2-Pugs

Good result Paul, well done.

I can second Amdys recommendation of Hagerty. Or Heritage, I have always found to be very good.

My own experience of AF is also a poor one.

Go to the NEC in a couple of weeks, a lot of the classic insurers are there. You can go and sit down and talk to someone which is often very helpful.