• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmy b

1.6 Gti Won't Rev Past 4000 Rpm...loss Of Power

jimmy b

My 1.6 cti c reg has just developed a sudden loss of power at 4000 rpm....it's fine & pulls great up to this point & it won't go past this...all the ht leads,dizzy cap ,rotar arm,plugs air filter have been changed....I'd just filled it up with fresh fuel from sainsburys,I've had neither issues with either car or petrol supplier,I did add reddex as usual... Half a bottle per tank...it hasn't Been out ie being driven for around 2 monthes...but starts first time & ticks over at just over 1'000 rpm...but as usual the throttle is a bit fluffy...now it stinks when you are standing behind it...the plugs are clean,the old ones are ok..not sooty the exhaust isn't sooty & is clean....I've ran some carb cleaner through the arm, & intake...no joy it just revs up & hits a brick wall at 4' 000 rpm..the inside of the dizzy cap is dry all leads etc are sprayed with wd 40...the throttle pedal is sharp on take up & it pulls with no issues...one last thing...I was poking around the engine bay...& found a 3 pin connector..it was round & cylinderical... It was hot & had burnt through some wires...it sits in a clamp on the right side of the engine bay...near the bonnet support..I disconnected it..& the car started & ran fine with no difference...??? Any ideas...

jackherer

It could be the ignition amp at fault.

The metal cylinder is either the low speed fan resistor or the dim dip headlight resistor, they're meant to get hot but obviously nothing should be touching them other than a metal clamp.