• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bobob

Toyota Starlet Glanza

aldworth33

Great cars, old Toyotas are solid. A friend of mine had one with decent power not 100% what it was putting out but it was cool as s*it

Ams

I've driven a Glanza in factory guise years ago (same one as in the link, 99 model) and to be honest I remember it being underwhelming. The factory suspension doesn't cut it in my opinion. The fuel consumption was a little heavy on my mates Glanza (around 25mpg). They're good cars with decent straight line speed but need setup properly if you want a rewarding driving experience. Best bet of course is to drive it yourself!

A run of the mill Type-R provides a better driving experience for less money out the box these days. Plus they have a wider range of tuning parts and availability. Can't comment on the parts side of things for the Glanza, your probably best finding a Glanza forum. Also bear in mind the potential for eye popping insurance quotes due to it being a grey import!

Rams_gti6

I had one, absolutely fine if left standard but start messing and its a time bomb. I put a bigger turbo on mine it went like a scalded cat, once.

• Like 1

Paul_13

My mate had a few. Absolutely loved them.

Suspension upgrades are a must.

Td04 is basically a bolt on upgrade as a lot of people manufacture manifolds and exhausts to suit them

cheesegrater

A friend of mine has a Glanza, theyre a quirky little car. In standard form, terrible handling but quite a pokey engine for the size. One thing that bugs me every time I drive it is the lack of thought that has gone in to their supposed top of the range sport model. The interior is tacky and looks like a base model interior, very similar to micra interior in fact. The seats have no bolsters so one sharp corner and youre in a rather suggestive position with your passenger. As said previously, if you want to get from A to B reliably and still want to modify it you have to be VERY careful with the mods you do, they are prone to spontaneous piston death/rod excursions. The engines are non inference engines however and relatively easy to work on with a FMIC. Parts seem to be a niche and often expensive coilovers for example, even the low quality brands.

GLPoomobile

Worst thing about Starlets is that chavs have ruined them. They are a total chav car these days. I wanted one years ago, but couldn't bring myself to own one now.

Rich_p

One passed me on the way to work this morning at full chat. It sounded quite good!

bobob

Thank you for all of the replies.

The only reason I ask about the Starlet is that the class I am in for Hill climbing is up to 2000cc. If I were to use a turbo'd car, the capacity will need to be times'd by 1.5, so in this case;

1.3 x 1.5 =1950cc.

This past year, my first, I have been using a 306 Gti6, with 199bhp, 164Ilb (throttle bodies, cams, exhaust, etc.) and many suspension mods (Billies, 30ARB, 21TBs, etc). Plus some lightening, which is permitted.

I finished 2nd behind Miles in the Gurston championship, however, there is now a Civic Type R in our class, and potentially a fast MX5, along with Miles - the champion for the last 3 years! So to stand any chance I need more power and a similar handling car (or at least achievable with suspension upgrades).

I am thinking the Starlet could be more powerful with less money than the GTi6 engine, as I am now at an expensive junction in terms of getting more power out of the Gti6 :(

Am I going down the wrong road? :unsure:

welshpug

power is nothing without control...

large

Mel. You can't have watched Top gear

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi,

If you needed any assistance with insurance for an imported vehicle at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.