• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ishan

205 Gtx Vtr Wiring Help!

ishan

I understand this topic has been covered lots of times in the past but I am struggling to find a definitive answer to get my car to start!

I have a 1994 1.4 GTX which comes with TU3M single point injection engine and I'm in the process of fitting a 1998 Saxo 1.6 VTR engine and gearbox. I'm at the point of splicing Saxo engine loom to the 205 engine bay loom.

I've label up the round Saxo multiplug wires and established what they all are.

20150103_115208_zpsjo7hxk3f.jpg

On the 205 I've identified the 5 pin brown multiplug by the front washer bottle and worked out from left to right

Wire 112 green - Rev counter

Wire 2 blue- Ignition live

Wire black - Unknown

Wire 76 white- Fuel pump

Wire 74 white- K Light

20150103_115221_zps69s5xpqt.jpg

I've also identified a yellow plug by the gearbox which has

Wire 30 grey - alternator warning light

Wire 32 yellow - Ignition live

Wire purple - oil pressure light

20150103_115227_zpskyimlsc5.jpg

I have spliced the above onto the Saxo multiplug using the ignition live from the brown plug but I am struggling to get it to fire up.

Firstly I have read that the fuel pump must prime, which it doesn't. I have tested the pump and it does work off a 12v feed but it doesn't want to work when cranking.

Secondly I don't appear to have power to the coil when cranking. Again their is power from to the relay but nothing under crank. I am not sure what the voltage to the coil should be but it is 0.05.

Just to make sure I have checked the wiring to the TDC sensor and swapped it over. I also bought another unlocked ECU and changed over he main relay but still nothing.

Is there another ignition live I should be using? Have I missed something out here? I'm not the best with the multimeter and really could do with any help!

ishan

Thought i'd drop a quick guide as if anyone else is attempting to do this conversion.

The car in question is a 1993 Peugeot 205 GTX which has a 1.4 TU3M SPI engine. The engine, gearbox and wiring is from 1998 Citroen Saxo VTR 1.6 TU5JP MPI "black top" with a single plug ECU.

To physically fit the engine the rear and gearbox mount need to be removed from the 205 engine and fitting onto the Saxo engine. You can just swap the drivers side top arm and fit onto the Saxo mount. Remove the rear Saxo mount from the gearbox as it gets in the way. The 205 exhaust manifold fits straight onto the Saxo head.

To make the speedometer and ECU work correctly you will need to replace the Saxo VSS (vehicle speed sensor) with a combined mechanical type on the rear of the gearbox. Part number is 616024.

The 205 throttle and clutch cable and water pipes will fit straight on.

Now the wiring, which sounds complicated but is very simple. Firstly you need to fully remove the 205 ECU and associated wiring from under the dashboard. I partially removed the dashboard so I could remove the 205 wiring intact and pulled it out of the engine bay through the bulkhead grommit near the steering column. The wiring should lead to various sensors on and around the 205 throttle body, lambda sensor, power junction box on slam panel and crucially a small brown 5 pin multi plug near/behind the passenger headlight.

I spliced two plugs from the 205 loom onto the Saxo 23 pin black female multiplug. This is so the loom can easily be unplugged from the male end if i need to remove the engine for any reason.

I cut the female end of the brown multiplug from the 205 ECU loom I had removed. The other is a small yellow 3 pin plug from the ignition loom located near the gearbox. Both pictured in the post above.

The 205 brown multiplug has 5 pins which are;

1. Wire '112' green - Rev counter
2. Wire blue- Ignition live
3. Wire black - Unknown
4. Wire '76' white- Fuel pump
5. Wire '74' white- ECU 'K' dashlight
The 205 yellow three pin plug are;
1. Wire '30' grey - alternator/battery dash light
2. Wire '32' yellow - Ignition live
3. Wire purple - oil pressure dash light
The Saxo 23 pin black multiplug has lots of wires but only 8 required to make the car start and run. Looking from the female end and with 3 pins at the top you will need to identify the following wires.
Starter motor - '108' thick blue - 2nd row 3rd pin
Ignition live - 'CM10E' thin grey - 2nd row 2nd pin
Rev Counter - '425' thin green - 3rd row 1st pin
Fuel pump - '124' thick blue - 3rd row 2nd pin
Lambda Live - '123' thin grey - 3rd row 3rd pin
Oil pressure - '410' thin mauve - 3rd row 4th pin
Alt/Battery warning - '1072' thin pink - 3rd row 5th pin
ECU warning - '480' thin pink - 4th row 5th pin
Next you need to match the following Saxo wires to to the 205 plugs.
205 brown multiplug;
Wire 1 = Saxo 425 rev counter green wire
Wire 2 = Saxo 123 & CM10E lambda and ignition live grey wires
Wire 3 = nothing
Wire 4 = Saxo 124 blue fuel pump wire
Wire 5 = Saxo 480 pink ECU warning wire
205 3 pin yellow plug;
Wire 1 = Saxo 1072 pink wire
Wire 2 = nothing
Wire 3 = Saxo 410 mauve wire
You will end up with something like this.
20150309_215215_zps4prmomn4.jpg
You will need to connect '108' blue starter motor wire to the 205 thick blue wire which is a single wire with a blue end.
In addition the Saxo loom will have three thick red and one thin green (BB10A) wires which are separate but needs to be attached directly to the 205 positive battery end. Also a thin grey BB10A and thin green BB04A need to be spliced into the power junction box attached on the slam panel so it can be fused. I think these two thin wires power the ECU
Make sure the earth (green/yellow) is correctly tightened and attached on the gearbox and that another wire goes from the gearbox to the negative battery to the car body. Connect the 205 positive battery cable to the Saxo starter end.
That should be it as far as I can remember .
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loose Hand Luke

Cracking mate cheers. Does the rev counter pulse from the saxo ecu work fine on a 205 clock set then?

ishan

Rev counter is working fine using the Saxo '425' wire on to the 205 '2' wire.

Loose Hand Luke

Happy days :-D

Thanks for the guide.