• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iwallers

Exhaust Manifold 1.9

iwallers

Hi,

My phase 1.5, 1.9 exhaust is blowing, I have traced it to the manifold but can't see a cracking or split.

Can anyone help with what manifold I need to purchase and how hard this is to fit.

Thanks

Edited by iwallers

erbs

put in a wanted ad, i got mine from a member here, no cracks or warped

you can repair but cheap enough for a second hand one

hoodygoodwood

These manifolds often crack but they can also start to blow if the ring gasket at the downpipe joint is not sealing properly or if the 2 bolts have come loose or are the wrong length.

The 4 manifold to head gaskets are largely steel and can corrode away badly along with the manifold face . If it has never been removed before you may well round off the nuts on the manifold studs when you try to undo them , hammer on a slightly smaller imperial socket to shift them .

Its worth replacing the 8 studs as they are known to break and the newer type nuts do not round off as easily .

iwallers

Thanks for advice

hoodygoodwood

Buy 4 new exhaust gaskets for when you refit the new manifold , OE Peugeot ones are good quality and have the largest diameter hole in them compared to the aftermarket ones I have seen so they do not restrict gas flow .Part number is 0349.70 .

The gaskets are not symmetrical so be careful to fit them the right way round on the studs .

Exhaust manifolds even if uncracked are often warped , before I refitted mine I put it on my granite surface table and it was not flat , could get a 0.4 mm feeler gauge under each end . I filed the head mating face down while carefully checking it with the feelers .

Miles

The main issue bar the cracking on these is the mating face on the outer 2 cylinders, they get eaten away by rust and warp as above, Can be machined flat again but is a pain to set up as you have no flat surfaces to go from