• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Supersport2

Hub Strip For Powder Coating

Supersport2

Sorry for the sfq. But how much should I strip off the hub for powder coating. I've never taken one of these apart, from a 205. Is it circlip out, bearing out, then it'll come apart? Or is there something else I must do?

Again, apologies for the sfq.

allanallen

You've got it, drive flange out, circlip out then press the bearing out

Tom Fenton

You will usually destroy the bearing getting the drive flange out as the inner race is a tight fit on the drive flange stub.

The hub is an awkward shape to set up in a press to get the old bearing out, and theres not much to push on. The way I always do it is to remove the circlip, then run a bead of weld round the inner circumference of the bearing outer. As it cools it shrinks and pulls the bearing outer race in with it. You can then turn the hub the other way up, and punch the outer race out of the hub with a hammer and drift. I was skeptical about this method until I tried it, it works every time and is how I always tackle this job now.

With that done, make sure you mask up the bearing seat area well, you don't really want them to shotblast and powdercoat that area. The best finish for the drive flanges is probably to have them plated, as you don't want thick powder coat on the face the disc mates up against.

Once they are done they do look top drawer!

Juttie205

How tom said is exactly how mine were done.

Supersport2

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a go and see how it works out. Thanks again!

Supersport2

Got through a bit of this. Got my flange out! Just wish it would warm up!!

Is there any secret to getting the top part of the bearing off the flange? Just heat it up and prise off?

Circlips are rather rusted in too!! Any tricks?

allanallen

Sharp chisel at the back of the outer race usually shifts them. Failing that carefully grind through it, they normally split when you get close and come off dead easy then.

Circlips are bastards. Soak it in penetrating fluid and bash it about with a punch, downwards onto the circlip to shock it loose.

3mm ish punch in the circlip holes and gently tap them inwards, don't go mad or you bugger the holes up if they're not already.

When that fails, heat and chisels. If you can clean the circlip up enough you may be able weld something helpful on to it, you'll need to use your imagination a bit though :P

105e

I ground nearly through the bit of bearing left on shaft, then whacked it and it cracked on the thin (ground down bit) so I could then prise it of. My circlips required penetrating fluid, hammer and punch and a pair of thin bladed screw drivers to remove, circlip pliers no use at all.