• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Gallington06

Rebuilt Gti-6 Engine Oil Issue

Tom_Gallington06

I have a bit of an issue that im not sure about.

Basically I had my engine rebuilt to a high spec last year around August time.

The oil pressure had always been high and stable as everything was fresh, new and tight,

I have noticed the past few times i have used the car, there is a funny noise when starting and now when i accelerate the pressure drops, then stabilises again. Hopefully you can see it in the video if it works which isn't full throttle just medium acceleration.

http://vid1285.photobucket.com/albums/a588/TDGallington2171/1628DF3E-7423-4466-A507-27199557F6DF_zpsrrlyna9s.mp4

The oil level isnt low and the bottom pulley bolt is tight. The noise i thought was the starter motor but i have changed this and it still happens. So im considering dropping the sump to check the oil pump.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers Tom

Anthony

If that's the standard sender/wiring, I'd be much more inclined to think it's an electrical issue judging by the way that gauge is flicking around like that. Check the connector on the sender is good and wiring looks OK, and replace the sender.

Certainly I'd try a proper mechanical gauge before pulling the engine apart, because I reckon it'll show no issue.

calvinhorse

My thoughts exactly Anthony, looks like electrical interference possibly from the rev counter :-/

• Like 1

Tom_Gallington06

Good thinking, I will have a check of the wiring tomorrow but it is a Omex loom I made up around a year and a half ago.

I understand that the original pressure gauge isn't ideal or great. But I haven't got much funding currently as I am buying a house to buy a separate unit.

Thanks for the help though. It gives me somewhere to start before I rip the sump off.

My only other question would be what's the noise on start up? I will get a video tomorrow.

Cheers Tom

Anthony

The standard pressure gauge setup in good order is fine for what it is, just don't treat it as a paragon of accuracy as it's not!

Problem is like everything they're typically 20+ years old and often (though maybe not in your case) have wiring in terrible condition so it's no surprise that they're sometimes a bit flaky and scare people into thinking that they have engine woes...

jackherer

I've got a mechanical gauge with a long hose you can borrow if you like?

That's 100% an electrical problem IMO.

Tom_Gallington06

Ok many thanks for the information. Makes me feel abit better :-)

I may take you up on that offer Jackherer but I will get back to you. Many thanks though.

I will check the wiring tomorrow.

Cheers Tom

aldworth33

Mines similar to this, I checked the pressure on a proper gauge and it was fine

• Like 1

rallyeash

Yep electrical in my opinion.

What bottom pulley do you have? I had a a problem with my billet one wearing the key way out, even though it was tight it knocked really badly. I feared the worst!

Try and use something to pin point where it's coming from, I used a small piece of bar upto my ear to find mine.

dcc

As you have said you've redone your wiring with your omex, unless you didn't replace the sensor loom. The only thing I would suggest if your sensor is healthy, is to check the earth straps from battery to engine to chassis.

If you've used lots of sealant on the sensor threads this will cock up the readings also

• Like 1

Tom_Gallington06

Yep electrical in my opinion.

What bottom pulley do you have? I had a a problem with my billet one wearing the key way out, even though it was tight it knocked really badly. I feared the worst!

Try and use something to pin point where it's coming from, I used a small piece of bar upto my ear to find mine.

Yeah I do have a billet bottom pulley fitted mate. So maybe that. I will try and pin point but it only happens when cranking not once it's running so I may disconnect the coil so it doesn't start so I can try to locate the noise :-)

Oil pressure wise I will check the wiring, check the pressure sender itself as I did you a little sealant in the billet t-piece.

And also look to see if I have a spare one kicking around.

Seems weird to start making the noise and also oil pressure reading becomes abit all over the place. ????

rallyeash

Go back a few pages on my 205 build. You'll see what happened on my pulley

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

The wiring to tge sensor may be fine but it may just be a bad contact, for example the female spade may be a loose fit on the male sensor terminal, or the sensor terminal could be loose where it joins the sensor. I had both issues and eventually the male spade snapped off the sensor. My guage looked just like that, as you accelerate and the engine moves and the wiring moves the connection gets a bit flakey and the reading goes variable.

Tom_Gallington06

The wiring to tge sensor may be fine but it may just be a bad contact, for example the female spade may be a loose fit on the male sensor terminal, or the sensor terminal could be loose where it joins the sensor. I had both issues and eventually the male spade snapped off the sensor. My guage looked just like that, as you accelerate and the engine moves and the wiring moves the connection gets a bit flakey and the reading goes variable.

Everyone was spot on. It was an electrical issue and I checked the spade connector which was connected but turned out to be really loose fit. So a little nip and it's now tight and reads exactly the same as it did before.

Cheers for all the help peeps.

Tom

rallyeash

Bet you were relieved!

Tom_Gallington06

Bet you were relieved!

Yeah just abit. Needs mapping though as it drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion.

Ash, what mpg do you get in your rallye?

rallyeash

Duno. It never gets driven gently. Think I worked out about 10mpg on track once. The only road driving is testing and odd blast.

Not to bothered though.

Tom_Gallington06

Ahh I see. I'm doing about 180/200 to a tank and alot of people say there conversions don't drink huge amounts.

I do use it quite a lot on the road as my focus is pretty boring. But I Spose abit of mapping and it should be sorted.

Cheers to everyone for all the help.

Cheers Tom

rallyeash

Last weekend I double drove my mates 205 at Combe, 170 miles and two tanks!

Tom_Gallington06

On track I would understand that but if I do road miles I would expect to get a few more than 200 ????

rallyeash

Yeah should be better when mapped.