• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Heater Fan Only Spinning 1/4 Of Full Power

davey205

Is it most likely to be a failing blower motor, resistor or something else?

It was fine then started going flaky but sometimes worked on full power now just 1/4 puff.

Car had been standing for 2 years but blower worked fine for 1st couple of weeks.

I'm not even going to try and fix it just want to know what is the most likely bit I should buy then get my mechanic to sort it.

Did a search and it looks too involved would need a idiot proof guide with pictures then still mess it up.

Edited by davey205

lightflow

There are many threads on here if you search around.

The fan is controlled by three things.

1. The main control board in the centre console (this is behind the fascia with the three dials). That provides the demand to the fan. I hear these are pretty reliable and rarely fail.

2. The "resisitor" (which is actually a bit more than a resistor) which controls the current to the fan blower.

3. The fan blower itself.

Both the resistor and fan blower are easily removed. Look under the glovebox in the passenger footwell - the blower will be under the felt cover, if you gently manipulate the felt it, it should drop down easily.

There are only 3 screws holding the fan in and a couple holding the resistor into the fan box.

You could bid on these as pair:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-gti-cti-genuine-new-heater-fan-and-resistor-6445-90-6441-68-/271820289966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f49c077ae

There is a fan overhaul guide here:

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.html/_/articles-guides/body-interior-ice/heater-fan-overhaul-r84

Edited by lightflow
  • Like 1

davey205

Yay, today I have full power fan.

Driving home with fan on full blast just because I can.

Wow what a fantastic guide, I obviously didn't see that during my search.

I will have a good go at it as its sure to start messing about again.

Thanks very much the other posts I read looked a bit too involved / over my head but this is exactly what I was after nice simple guide with pictures, lovely. :-)

Edited by davey205

davey205

Before I do the refurb I wanted to ask if this pointed to anything obvious;

Its been going slowly again but went over a bump then it went to full power for a few seconds then back to slow.