• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
theoilburner

Removing Dim/dip Relay And Wiring?

theoilburner

Me again!!

Can the dim/dip really be removed easily?? It's missing from my car and was the cause of a burn out of wiring, while I've got the loom out can I just remove the wires????

Thanks

farmer

Why not just buy another relay ?

theoilburner

Sorry I wasn't 100% clear. The wiring for the resistor has burnt out completely and needs replacing, as this was the cause of my wiring fire and from research it is quite a common cause of problems I'm thinking it will be easier just to remove the whole lot. This will make repairing the loom a lot easier and will reduce the risk of problems in the future. I also understand it isn't actually needed for MoT.

Is it just as case of removing the wiring and unplugging the relay or do I have to do anything else???

I've tried searching but can't find any info

Thanks

Edited by theoilburner

theoilburner

Anyone able to offer any advice??

jackherer

I've never done it myself but from looking at the wiring diagram it looks like if you remove the dim/dip relay, resistor and wiring everything will still work (except dim/dip obviously)

Anthony

As above, I've not tried it myself, but it looks straight forward to remove the dim-dip system - effectively you'd just be reverting to how the early 205's without dim-dip were done.

Effectively all dim-dip does is use a relay to provide power to the dipped headlight bulbs, via a resistor to reduce brightness, when the sidelights are on and ignition on. It often doesn't work on 205's these days and as you say, is not tested at MOT time.

That said though, best way to prevent the problem you've experienced in the future though is to do what Peugeot didn't - put a fuse on the headlight wiring! With a fuse in the circuit, the fuse would blow in the event of the headlight wiring shorting out, rather than the wiring melting and potentially catching fire.

theoilburner

Cheers

I thought fuses weren't allowed on headlamps for obvious reasons??

Anthony

As far as I know most newer cars have fuses on the headlights, so I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be allowed... unless there's something that I'm not aware of (entirely feasible!)

It would seem sensible to have a separate fuse for left and right hand headlight though to reduce the risk of having both lights go out suddenly whilst driving.

theoilburner

I'll look into it, sounds a good idea.

Only issue I see with separate fuses is that the headlamps are fed from a single supply from the switch so not sure if possible?

humanz

Not sure how it's done but I'm pretty sure that the dim dip relay in my car is non existent and dim dip works fine, although I wish the headlights were brighter on high beam.

dcc

I think you renove the relay when fitting hids - meirion should br along soon to confirm