• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hoodygoodwood

8V Headbolt Lengths

hoodygoodwood

I am rebuilding a 1905cc 8v XU9JA at the moment and I have just loosely refitted the head , after some confusion with some Motaquip ( hex headed ) head bolts which were shorter i ordered a set from GSF , they arrived yesterday and are correct length Torx headed items .

The new bolts have a long thread that comes half way up its length and for the bolt above the water pump that usually has the thick and thin spacer I could easily cut 30mm ( or so ) off the end and do away with the thick spacer .

Do Peugeot have 10 bolts the same length and a spacer on one so that they stretch equally when torqued down or was it to simplify the supply of bolts by having them the same ?

Could I cut the one bolt to suit the shorter hole and use just the thin spacers on all 10 .

Tom Fenton

Why make it difficult, refit them as they are with the big spacer on the left rear bolt as looking at the engine in the car.

• Like 1

pug_ham

IIRC the hex head bolts don't use the spacers like the torx bolts & are a bit shorter side by side (~8mm).

They just use ~3mm washers & a 22mm spacer above the water pump looking on service box.

g

welshpug

yup, Graham got it.

Telf

definitely washers I've just stripped an engine with them fitted

hoodygoodwood

All the head bolts I have used before have been the usual torx head and full length type but the thread length varies considerably between the ones I have seen , also some have had a spiral twist cut into them which must be to aid the stretch while others have a plain section between head and thread . The hex head ones have such a short thread I was worried about it bottoming out in the hole so I ordered the others so I could get the engine back together as I have another one to build and need my engine stand .Have never seen the 3mm spacers before - does anyone have some lying around ?

pug_ham

You should be able to get some suitable washers from a decent hardware store imo, spec of them from service box is;

CYLINDER-HEAD SCREW WASHER

13X24-3

g

Telf

Miles I have a set languishing in my bits bucket from earlier - I'm not sure if I need them or can fit Torx bolts when I rebuild my project engine- if I can use Torx then your welcome to them - I'd have to have a rummage tomorrow but I haven't thrown anything away so there is no reason they should still be in the warzone that is may back garden...

hoodygoodwood

Thanks Telf , if you do not need them I might be able to make use of the spacers with the hex head bolts on my next 1.9 8v build .How are you getting on with your engine cleanup , I have a bare block on a Black and Decker Workmate in my hallway at home at the moment , it had some corrosion in the water jacket but still useable .

Telf

Well I think Ive found a block that's OK - posted some pics in the thread - I will have a look for those washers today

pug_ham

I've got five of the washers you need, don't know if I have the rest of the head bolts (the front five were still in the head because the rocker cover is still fitted) but I'll have a look through the boxes that came with the head.

g