• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Justin

Mi16 4-2-1 Manifold - What Exhaust To Mate To?

Justin

Evening all,

I know that this has been done to death and I have searched and read loads of posts, but that has got me more confused than ever.

I have one of Miles' 4-2-1 manifolds to fit, and given that the remainder of my exhuast has seen better days it seems wise to get a new centre and rear section. I don't want anything too loud or expensive, so am looking at getting standard Bosal, which seems well though of and relatively cost effective. I do have an olive type Magnex back box that I could fit if I wanted to.

Query is, which Bosal system is likely to fit to Miles' manifold with the least amount of aggro? I do have a welder in the workshop and a mate that can weld, so could modify if needed, but it would be nice not to!

This seems to be what I have now (albeit a bit knackered);

06211360.gif​

This is the other option (assume earlier fitment?)

06211351.gif

Is it just a question of going for the first one (289-911) and cutting the downpipe off and sleeving it onto Miles' system?

Cheers,

Justin.

welshpug

the later system is larger diameter though as you noted its a single piece, I do recall managing to sleeve a magnex onto an earlier type system, iirc just using a joiner piece from a local motorfactor.

difficult to be more specific without knowing the exact o.d's or I.d's involved.

Simes

I used to have magnex on mine but changed to standard. After trying to make it fit I ended up taking it to exhaust shop to mate it to my 4-2-1. The made and fitted a lovely connection piece with a lambda boss too.

Bakes100

I'm sure Miles will be along to confirm, but I think the easiest system to fit is the phase 2 non-cat two piece system, you just need to cut it down to size & attach the belled end.

Alastairh

I agree with Bakes100.

Silky

Need to do this on mine.

I've got a Magnex 4-1 and then an XP22 system which I believe is a 3" Magnex along with a 4" exit on the backbox.

It rattles a bit and is too loud.

Want to take it off and mate a standard system to the 4-1.

How did you get on Justin?

What did you do?

• Like 1

S@m

I just cut down the boggo system i had on my 8v, and sleeved it to the mi16 manifold when i fitted the engine.

Silky

2 or 3 piece system?

I could get a new 3 piece from EuroCarParts and just get my mechanic mate to cut it down and make it fit. That's if the downpipe does mate to the 4-1

welshpug

2 piece is better, they're larger bore.

Silky

Thank you. I guess the 2 piece down pipe will need a bit cutting off and then sliding inside the 4-1 manifold and clamping up?

Silky

Looks as though you'd have to cut off the joint part on the downpipe, that right?

welshpug

depends on the length of the manifold, the 3 piece system centre boxes dont meet up to most other than the magnex made for them, hence utilising the later 2 piece and cutting in the appropriate place.

j_turnell

I've just fitted one of miles stainless 4-1 on my gti-6 and used a sleeve fitment magnex system for the remainder. Just had to get a piece of stainless welded on to join them up from the centre section to the collector. Was pretty straight forward.

Miles

Don't use ECP, the systems are cheap

Silky

Seem to be Klarius on their website

welshpug

klarius is not great quality.

Silky

Cheers Mei, is the only brand I'm being offered at the moment by local guys. Trying to find something better

welshpug

get Bosal if you can, there's a very noticable difference in fit and quality, not sure what other brands are about these days, Euroflo are a definite avoid like the plague.

Edited by welshpug

Silky

If it works out that my centre baffle is fine on the Magnex, then maybe I'll just cut the rear section off and fit a standard back box to quieten it down

Edited by Silky

welshpug

easy enough to get a generic off the shelf oval 2 / 2.25" silencer and fit it to the magnex tubes if it is tired.

• Like 1

Silky

Is the 4-1 Magnex mani on the 8v much shorter?

My mechanic guy just gone to fit my walker 2 piece system to the Magnex 8v mani and it's short by approx 1ft.

Is going to sleeve the difference. Thought it was going to be too long or is the 16v mani that much longer?

welshpug

that sounds about right for a magnex-magnex type manifold, there's a magnex to o.e type with a longer downpipe, quite rare though I think.

Bakes100

Does your two piece system have the integral downpipe? If not it is designed for a catted phase 2 Gti which will make it too short for a magnex mani or mi16 4-2-1 mani.

It will have the olive-type fitment at the front not a sleeve. If it is sleeved it will be a phase 1 smaller diameter system probably.

Edited by Bakes100