• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allye

Fitting 15's Under A Base Model

allye

As title really. What are people's experiences of getting 15's under a base mod shell?

Ideally I'd want 15x5.5's steel wheels for my van but from looking around I don't think there is such a thing? If 15x6 C5 wheels or similar where fitted what the deals with arch rolling or pulling arches out, any experience?

Alternately I could put the pepper pots on with a load of tyre. Standard suspension, I'm going for MPG's and comfort with this one!

Cheers, Ali

boldy205

Being a van if you are loading it up i think you will struggle. Fronts are fine from memory, just the rear. I had 1.9 gti wheels on my XS years ago (195/45/15), even with the arches rolled (by a body shop) it still rubbed slightly with passengers in the rear. Saying that 185 width tyres may help.

allye

cheers, yer i thought about running a slight stretch on 15's, want 15's for the look but 14's with a chunky side wall for comfort!

Weser

I ran 185/50 tyres on my old 205 GRD with 1.9 gti alloys and never really had a problem with rubbing - thats my experience anyway.

steve@cornwall

I had to pull the arches slightly at the top IIRC but got away with these 195/45/15s. lookstream.jpg

welshpug

sarty wheels!!

allye

Might have to give 15's a go. What's the suggestion on anything narrower than a 185?

welshpug

NO.

:)

Wes

do a 165 with a massive stretch, shouldn't rub then :lol:

steve@cornwall

sarty wheels!!

Nope........ momo quasars.....lol. yes...I did own 2 similarly horrible sets.

But I'm still running the tyres from Sarty's tsws

Edited by steve@cornwall

allye

well the interwebs reckons 175 is quite ok on a 15, not even a stretch really. 175/55 should give little clearance issues and ok comfort. Just need to find some 15" wheels that look ok now.

Henry Yorke

It is all about the offset and not the tyre width. I ran 185/55 and 195/50 15inch 1.9 Speedlines on a base model and the both rubbed. I then ran 185/60/14 on 1.6 GTI wheels and 306 Harriers and they were fine, even when I dropped it 80mm at the back in my youth!!

post-3457-0-08721900-1443039426_thumb.jpg

allye

standard 205's then, changes car to car. I had settled on 175/55 on C5 wheels.

Tom Fenton

Only 2.5mm shorter than a 195/50/15

allanallen

Why don't you talk to Rallyeash? His is on 15s with sensible non stretched tyres and it even looks good!

allye

from what i remeber its the side wall of the tyre thats an issue not the height? Slight stretch would go a long way to solve that.

Yer might drop ash a message, hes only around the cornwr too!

allanallen

Or fit one and have a look...

allye

I've actually got a couple rogue 306 15's kicking about.

Silky

I'm running Citroen C5 Steels with 195/50/15 tyres

No rubbing on the rear (standard height), even with a full load of camping gear and one guy in the rear going to Pugfest
Slight rubbing on the front, but when it's only me in the car, it's fine. Front is lowered around 40mm

This is on an XS, so same as base model shell

Paul_13

I ran 1.9 gti wheels on a Base model shell and it rubbed like a c*nt

Even 14" gti wheels rubbed!

stevietuck

I ran 1.9 gti wheels on a Base model shell and it rubbed like a c*nt

Even 14" gti wheels rubbed!

Paul where did your 14" gti wheels rub?

I have got a g reg 205 diesel with 14" gti alloys with 185/60/14 tyres. I have been noticing a squeaking coming from d/s rear and thought it was the rear axle, but when i had a quick look today I noticed that the side wall of the tyre has been rubbing on the inside ( against the side of wheel tub ) There is only about a mm or 2 clearance on d/s but when i looked on p/s there is maybe 20mm clearance. I'm going to jack back end up the morn and see if there is any play anywhere but im quite concerned to be honest!

Biggles

Some Xantias had 5.5x15" steels - my gravel tyres are on some.

Anthony

Stevietuck - that sounds like a knackered beam I'm afraid if the drivers side wheel has cambered over and is rubbing on the inside of the wheel :(

stevietuck

Stevietuck - that sounds like a knackered beam I'm afraid if the drivers side wheel has cambered over and is rubbing on the inside of the wheel :(

Please dont say that! ( but at the back of my mind I know it is) thing is it had a replacment used rear beam a couple of years ago ( before i got it ) and both rear wheels have a wee bit of -camber ( i dont know if this is normal?) but only the d/s makes any noise. Im defo going to have to have a proper look at it.