• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

How High To Jack The Car To Change A Driveshaft

lagonda

As it says really.

Car is a 1989 CTi 1.6, with BE3 gearbox.

Don't want to be bothered with draining the oil if it can be avoided. Need of course to jack the car up to change the shaft (if it matters, the N/S, but I will probably be changing the O/S one sooner rather than later), so it struck me that if the car is jacked so high, the oil will be below the level of the driveshaft orifice.

I know the gearbox oil level is correct so possibility of it having been overfilled isn't a concern.

Tom Fenton

As high as it will go with my 3T (large) trolley jack does the trick.

I did a shaft outside the B&B in Germany (Nurburgring) about 15 min one morning much to the surprise of a friendly guy with a Porsche Cayman who was also staying at the same place. He came out to see how it was going and I had finished.

lagonda

Thanks Tom, that's great.

Changed driveshafts a few times, but too many years ago now to recall....but I'm fairly sure I only drained the box for the very first one.

Now all I need is for the rain to stop!

Laurence

Ozymandis

Have changed a right hand one without spilling oil, just jacked that side as high as it would go,

also i used a 3t trolley jack, done same on micra`s too.