• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
erbs

Strange Charging Issue

erbs

when i start my car and i check voltage,it shows 12.2v which is not obviously charging enough

what i do to overcome this i get a bit of wire and put one end on the exciter wire and then touch it to the live terminal then once that have been touched i can let go of the wire and then check voltage.

i do rev the engine to see if it kicks in, but it does not charge,new alternator and battery has recently been put on the car

its now 14v, what causes this that i have to energize it in order to get it charging,do they have a relay?? maybe a bit sticky??

Edited by erbs

erbs

No battery light comes on at ignition so it might be down to the multi plug, will check it at some point

Anthony

If you've no battery light, that suggests open circuit somewhere on the excitor wiring... without which the alternator won't start charging automatically.

It should start charging with enough revs though, as if you spin an alternator quick enough it'll self-excite.

erbs

i checked continuity from alternator exciter wire to the multi plug connection, all fine, so where does the wire from the multi plug into the car go?

i did rev the car but still stayed at 12.2 volts and as soon as i liven it up manually it then goes 14.4v

Edited by erbs

jackherer

If it's not the wiring or multiplug it could just be a blown battery warning light bulb.

erbs

If it's not the wiring or multiplug it could just be a blown battery warning light bulb.

and you would be correct, i tested the bulb and not working,so put in a new bulb and now charging

Also for good measure i replaced the crappy blue spade connectors,the ones where they are crushed against the wires, i really despise those connectors, now i have put in proper crimped bullet connections on the multi plug part.

these are use on motorcycles and my crf250 has them, and my bike goes through rivers and mud and still work brilliantly

problem now sorted

• Like 1

jackherer

Excellent!

I couldn't agree more about those blue connectors.