• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Robbiedundy

Underbody Restoration

Robbiedundy

Hi, I'm at the part of my rebuild where I need to protect the underneath of my 205.

My plan was to wire wheel the complete underneath, prime it with red oxide, paint with some black rustoleum paint I have then clart it in wax oyl.

I have since had thoughts of keeping it the same colour as the rest of the car (Miami blue) and is it possible that it will still be as durable/long lasting considering paint chips/scratches a lot easier?

I have thought about using stone chip to do it but would it hide rust until it's too late?

Any advice would be great ????

Tom Fenton

As long as you clean back then treat any rust to neutralise it then stonechip is fine.

On my car I cleaned back rusty areas, treated with kurust, then painted with 2 pack epoxy primer. Then stonechip then top coat then Matt lacquer to seal it without making it too glossy.

Ok I only do 1000 miles per year in summer, but it has been used in wet, and still looks like this.

DA78A7EC-A0DD-4859-9B54-21F6000D13A8_zps

Robbiedundy

That looks awesome Tom, thanks for the help. Do you clean the underneath often?

Will be looking into some stone chip, my daily has broken down so might be a little while before I get to it though ????

Tom Fenton

A couple of times a year to keep on top of it. When you spend as long as I did to get it like that you want to keep it looking nice!

Robbiedundy

Absolutely, best head out to the garage..

Cheers ????