• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

humanz

Oil Filter Issues

humanz

Ok, I must say that this isn't my first time changing an oil filter or dealing with an oil filter. However, I'm having a few issues.

This weekend I did some work on my gti changing the bolts and bushings for the lower arms. Noticed that oil seemed to have been leaking slowly from the filter. Started the car this morning and the leak was more pronounced (a steady stream). Tried tightening the filter (by hand). Drove the car but did not get very far before the stop light came on. The stream had become a river. I just finished changing the filter and replacing the oil (the dipstick had indicated that there was very little oil in the sump). Started the car up and there were no oil leaks. Ran the car for a minute or so...still no leaks. Drove home three minutes away and oil was streaming down the face of the sump again. I had tightened the filter by hand, first letting the filter stop against the block, then by tightening three quarters of a turn. Could something have happened with the old filter that's stopped the new filter from sealing? Could the filter be the wrong size and not be forming a proper seal, although it threaded on fine? Is there something else that could be wrong? Should I just tighten the filter a bit more, or start the process over and tighten it again? I've changed the filter before and never had issues (although those were filters sold specifically for the 205 gti and ordered from the UK). These filters were bought locally, and I had been advised that they would fit the 205 gti.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

pugdamo

It's worth removing the filter and checking the o ring from the old filter isn't stuck on the block. You've tightened it up perfectly so not a great deal else it could be.

toolie72

You've done it before so you shouldn't be making silly mistakes so I won't tell you how to suck eggs lol

Has it got an oil cooler? Could be leaking from adaptor plate? What's oil pressure say on gauge ie is it off the top of the scale

Oil pressure will be maximum of 8 bar (unless relief valve is stuck) so it isn't mad pressure you're trying to stop

If the original filter was doing the same then without being disturbed ie it started all of a sudden then I'd say you've fitted filter correctly ( no warranties given tho hehe)

Blocked breather pipe? You chucking any smoke out the exhaust?

Mac Crash

If it's a 1.9 then I'd check just to be sure that it isn't a hole in the rubber hoses of the oil cooler... would explain the loss of oil.

Probably not related but wasn't there an issue with oil filters being directional in flow?

humanz

ok, it's a 1.9 engine, but i haven't installed an oil cooler. Running double fans instead. No O ring stuck on block, as I wiped off the surface of the block before greasing the new filter with clean oil.The pressure gauge was at full pressure then dropping to less than half by the time I stopped the car. By that time oil appears to be flowing down the front of the sump. I did fit a new oil pressure switch late last week. Could that have anything to do with it? There's no oil leaking from the pressure switch, as that was one of the first things I suspected. It's clean as a whistle..

Ozymandis

Oil pressure relief valves stuck, seen this a few times on various engines, blows oil past filter sealing ring.

humanz

Where's the oil pressure relief valve? Is it in the oil pressure switch?

If I can solve this, should the filter o ring still be good?

Edited by humanz

GLPoomobile

I did fit a new oil pressure switch late last week. Could that have anything to do with it? There's no oil leaking from the pressure switch, as that was one of the first things I suspected. It's clean as a whistle..

Just double check that switch for sanity's sake. I'd say there's as much chance of that being the culprit as there is the filter. If it does turn out to be that, get yourself some plumbers PTFE tape and wrap it around the threads of the switch and refit.

Anthony

Where's the oil pressure relief valve? Is it in the oil pressure switch?

It's inside the oil pump. If you split the pump casing, you'll see a spring with a bucket shaped piece on the end. That's the relief valve.

humanz

So I'll have to remove the sump and oil pump to fix this problem? I'll likely need a new oil pressure relief valve as well?

Anthony

Yes, sump and pump off if it's the relief valve. I'd replace the valve regardless if you've gone to that effort, but that's just me as I hate doing jobs twice.

If you haven't already, I'd ensure the mating surface is spotlessly clean and try a different (good quality) make of oil filter before removing the sump as it is comparatively rare for the relief valves to fail/jam.

farmer

A genuine Peugeot filter for the cost is always my choice

humanz

A genuine filter means ordering and waiting for one to get here. Not a pleasant thought. The second filter I tried was a different make. I should also mention that I've had a uprated spring and relief valve fitted some years ago. WIll try again with another filter.

pug_ham

Did you fit a new copper washer under the pressure switch when you swapped it recently?

g

humanz

The switch came with a washer and that was what I fitted it with. I had another go at the filter this afternoon. I backed it off and spun it back on a couple of times, then tightened it three-quarters turn. It hasnt leaked since. :unsure: I ran the car for several minutes and there appeared to be no leaks. Will run it again on Saturday and see what happens.