• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Larawin

Starting Problem

Larawin

When I got the car it would start but only with 50% + throttle and would die immediately unless held at 1100 rpm. I had all of the inlet manifold off and found that the CAD valve has a split pipe. Fixed that and replaced the leads plugs and coil for good measure. Tried it again and would start a bit easier but thee was a loud air leak sound so I replaced the inlet gasket and sealed with blue hylomar as I did with the throttle body where it meets the inlet manifold.

Since that it won't start up at all. It turns over and it splutters more and more until it is on the verge or starting.

I'll be trying to suss it this weekend so if anyone has any ideas that could give me a head start it would be great!

DamirGTI

Have you by any chance fitted an inlet manifold gasket for carb XU engines ? .. the gasket is different , it must be for injection models or at least modify/cut the carb one to injection shape (carb gasket blocks injectors)

D

DamirGTI

Yeah , that's the right one so no worries with that then .

Check for spark and fuel while cranking .

Are the leads plugged on the dizzy cap as supposed to ? ie. not mixed/cross connected ?

Go back with what you've been doing/fixing and check back that there's no air/vacuum leak downstream of the AFM (visually obviously until you're able to start the engine) , check the wiring and connectors - inspect/check and wiggle them while trying to start , injector wiring goes under the inlet manifold so something might 'loose itself' while removing the inlet .

Did you replace the dizzy cap and arm as well or just the leads+plugs+coil ?

Coil - check that you haven't connected it the opposite way/reverse polarity as it'll still work but not good .

Try to 'force start it' by using easy start spray .

D

Edited by DamirGTI