• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nzpug

Replacing Brake Pads - Front Fitting Kit Required?

nzpug

hi there,

I'm going to replace the standard pads on my 1990 1.9 GTi (Girling front and Bendix rear) with the Ferodo pads that are widely recommended by forum users. having search across other postings it is clear that a rear brake fitting kit was recommended (so I got one), but nothing was mentioned of a front kit.

is a front brake pad fitting kit recommended or can I re-use the existing items? sorry for the numpty question but I've never done a brake pad change.

if a kit is recommended, would a Mintex kit (such as this) work with my Ferodo pads or are they manufacturer specific?

many thanks,

Matt

p.s. if anyone has any tips for the process of changing pads, I'd value your input (I've got the Haynes guide but practical experience/guidance is always better...)

welshpug

there isnt a kit for the front pads, the springs are captive to the pads and there are no retaining pins

Alan77

As WP says, no need for a front kit. The existing rear fitting kit would have been fine to re-use but new shiny bits are never bad.

On fitting new pads, dab a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads to prevent squeal. Get the retaining springs fitted correctly (take a photo before old pad removal) and don't forget to drift in the little bar and R-clip.

Of course, handbrake off while doing the rears. When the new pads have been fitted, the wheels should spin normally when the car is jacked, if not, something is fouling.

While the wheels are off, it's a good opportunity to inspect everything else in the wheel arches, discs, cv and balljoint boots, brake pipes, find rot!

I've been using Ferodo Premier pads for years, an excellent choice for a road car.

nzpug

great, thanks for the quick responses :D​