• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SweetBadger

Clio 172/182 Pads In 306 Hdi Calipers (266Mm Brake Setup)

SweetBadger

Hi all thought I'd share a handy tip on brake pads for anyone with or thinking of changing to a 266mm brake setup.

I upgraded to a 306 HDI (lucas caliper) brake setup on the race car, as I think they're a good compromise between added weight and extra braking capacity. The pads have a much bigger surface area than the standard 1.9 setup and the discs are larger.

The only problem with this setup is that the pad choice is quite limited and expensive.

I found the ferrodo DS3000 pads listed for the caliper but after fitting the brake setup, I couldn't get hold of them!

So I was advised that the GTi6 pads fit and work in the 266mm lucas setup albeit with the pad overlapping the disc. This is true, see below pad shapes:

306 HDi: http://peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/images/source/4OFDS1112.JPG

306 Gti6: http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/images/products/large/wm/DP1047.jpg

The Gti6 pads overlapped the disc about 3mm top and bottom, and worked well until they wore - as they wore the pedal feel got progressively longer and worse, the reason being that the pads started to wedge and wear more at the top of the pad than the bottom. Due in part to the bottom of the pad having more contact area with the disc than the top at the back of the disc.

So I got in touch with KamRacing and tried to find alternatives for the hdi caliper with not much joy.

- The CL pads are listed for them but they're bloody expensive & no RC6E available

- Ferrodo only do the DS2500

The clio 172/182 pads are far cheaper than any of the pug pads (I guess due to volume), and they fit the GTi6 caliper. So I decided to give them a go and remove any excess pad material to stop the wedging issue I had with the Gti6 pads.

They fit the caliper well and perfectly match up with the outer edge of the disc!:

D38B21A4-B470-4E8B-91F5-AB89F5653D05.jpg

But overlap the bottom of the disc:

D8E80551-A3AA-4E92-82EB-8CE66CBBC02E.jpg

But with a standard HDI pad to use as a guide, and about 10 mins with a grinding disc it's easy to remove the excess pad material:

C915B995-D404-4E33-9050-EE70E31D6383.jpg

417578A4-6A89-4150-97FC-33467DC6073E.jpg

2EBBC38D-BD2E-4CB3-97BB-85234B86073A.jpg

Et voila, perfectly fitting pads:

ADE1F0A5-7BBD-4F46-A5B8-02CA71F57C4C.jpg

Opens up a much larger range of pads, and the cost saving on the RC6 pads was just over £80!

• Like 6

RossD

Great tip - Thanks!

SweetBadger

No worries, just to add we were at Snetterton at the weekend and the 266mm brake setup with the RC6 pads was fantastic. Much better than the DS3000 pads.

We run a pedal box and I'd say the pedal feel was spot on, the max amount of pressure needed on the brake pedal was less than with the DS3000 pads and modulation was far better - heel toe now much easier (good job as the clutch crapped out so heel toe was a must for downshifts!).

Unless you're running serious power (we're 194 @ the hubs), then I can't see why you'd need any bigger brakes on a circuit car.

Batfink

That worked better than I thought it would when you called to order the pads lol

SweetBadger

Haha, have to admit I was a little apprehensive about taking an angle grinder to a brand new set of pads! Worked pretty damn well though!

You can definitively expect an order for another set when these wear out, although with the bad luck we continue to have with reliability it may be a while!

Malc

Alex,

Keen to hear how this goes, as a great saving to be made. I am switching back from Lotus AP Calipers to GTI6, mainly due to the fact of not having to use spacers, and have been using RC6 pads (which I am keen to continue using), however cost was an issue, this now looks like a good option.

Great tip

Thanks

welshpug

you wont need to do this on a gti6 caliper, the standard pad shape is closer to the clio and a clio pad doesn't overhang the braking surface

SweetBadger

That's right, the pads are a direct fit on a Gti6 setup, no grinding required! Although if your discs have any significant wear you may have to replace them as the clio pad material might not fit exactly with the existing wear on the disc.

welshpug

I would just take the lip off with a 60 grit pad on my grinder tbh :D same as I do when I work on any drum brake setup.